Bakery

Ch. 3

Nico's POV

My eyes widened when I realized he said my name. The rest of the time he called names I zoned out thinking about how I am partners with Ashton.

"Okay class you can move seats now" The teacher said.

I turned to Ashton and he looked pissed but gestured me to move to him.

"In the next few weeks or so I will move you and your partner, so your seat right now is not permanent." Mr. Holland said.

"Don't even try to talk to me." Ashton said looking straight ahead not bothering to see if I heard him or not.

I sighed and put my books away as it was almost the end of the class. A few minutes later the bell rings. Mr. Holland bid us a goodbye and went to get prepared for his last class. I went to my sixth period. That class I had was PE which was really boring. Luckily Daisy and Luke were in my class, so they gave me company.

At the end of the day, I had work at a bakery. I rode my bike there and arrived a bit earlier than needed.

"Nico, how was school?" Ms. Gomez, the bakery owner, asked. She was like a mom to me. I love her so much.

"Good" I said with a smile while putting on my apron.

"I'm clocking out!" I heard Hazel yell.

"Okay!" Ms. Gomez yelled back.

Before she left, she waved me a goodbye wave. Hazel has long blonde hair with dark brown eyes. Hazel loves to do her hair and would come to work in many hairstyles. Once she had bows and other times, she would come in with funky hair clips, but they looked cute on her. Hazel is like a sister to me. I tell her a lot of stuff whether it's about school, Ashton, family problems etc.

"I finished backing the cake base so can you frost it please?" she asked.

"Yeah of course, is there a specific design you want me to do?" I asked.

"Yeah, I put the picture of what the customer wants next to it."

I nodded and headed towards the back. The design was bats and spiders and the words 'Happy Birthday Alli' in cursive. I spent 30-50 minutes on it making sure it was perfect. I checked the time and saw it was 5:34 and the pickup time was 6. During the free time I had I went and baked some cupcakes we would need for tomorrow. Just as I was putting my fourth batch into the oven, I heard the door open.

"I'll be out one sec!" I yelled out.

"Sorry I was finishing some work" I said dusting off the flour from my apron.

"How could I- Ashton?" I said shocked looking up at him.

"Nico?...make this quick I need order #218" he said.

I nodded and headed towards the back to get the order. Turns out it was the cake that I had just finished decorating.

"Here" I said as I placed it on the counter.

"How much do I owe you?" he said, reaching for his wallet.

"Uh 58$" I said checking the price.

He pulled out his wallet and paid with a credit card.

"Do you want your receipt?" I asked, trying not to look at him.

"No" he said and took the cake and headed towards the exit.

I nodded "Bye, have a good day" I said while packing up the old pastries.

He didn't say anything.

I sighed and finished closing up the store before leaving and biking home. When I arrived home my stepfather and mother were not here, probably out partying. I looked around and saw my younger brother sitting on the dining table watching his iPad. I sighed wondering how long my 'parents' have left him alone for.

"Max!" I said heading towards him.

"Nico!!" he said running towards me and hugging my leg.

"c'mon, I brought you some sweets from the bakery" I said, leading him to the kitchen.

"Really!?" he said, jumping up and down.

"Mhm,but you can only eat after you have dinner" I said, giving him the chocolate cookie.

"Okay thank you!!" he said and hugged my leg again.

I chuckled and went to the fridge to find food to cook.

"So, what do you want to eat?" I asked, looking at what we had.

"Hmm can I get spaghetti?" he asked.

"Okay go to your room and finish homework, I'll call you when it's ready." I said to prepare the pasta and water.

He nodded and went up to his room.

After 30ish minutes I finished cooking and called him down to eat.

"Wow this looks really good Nico!!" He said really excited to eat it.

I chuckled.

"Do you want cheese on it or not?" i asked.

He shook his head and went to get napkins and forks for us. I thanked him and we ate together. I asked him about school, friends, homework, anything.

"I'm done, can I have my cookie now?" he asked, putting away his plate.

"Mhm" I said and went to put away mine and to finish the dishes.

He dashed away with his cookie and his iPad up to his room. Gosh I love him so much. I soon went up to my room to relax a bit. In my free time I mostly scroll on social media but lately I've been going on it too much, so I've resorted to drawing or writing. Before I put my phone down Daisy sent me a text asking about my day. We kept it short and simple as I told her I had to do stuff. After talking with her I went to find my paints and finished an old painting I haven't touched in so long. The painting was a field of flowers with the sun setting in the back. Painting lets me ignore everything in the world. That's why I love it so much. Before I knew it, it was already 11PM which meant I would have to sleep. I made sure I did everything like telling Max to go to sleep (I did that at 9PM but I had to make sure he was actually asleep), feeding coconut, stuff like that before I went to bed.

Finally, at 11:30 I went to sleep. 

(1051 words)