i. good to be back

"Can I get you something to eat, ma'am?"

Noor snapped out of her thoughts and faced the flight attendant, a small smile gracing her face as she looked at the woman. "Yes. can I ask if you have a halal option for food?" She asked, speaking in her native language for the first time in a while. It felt a little weird, but oddly nice.

"Halal...?" The flight attendant furrowed her brows.

"Yes," Noor nodded, "There's usually an option for Muslim passengers. If I'm not mistaken, Korean Airlines does have that option. I booked for it online."

"I'll go ask someone. I'm sorry, I'm new to this job."

Noor smiled and shook her head, "It's completely okay. You can go ask, I don't mind waiting a little."

"Alright. I'm very sorry," The girl apologised again before going to the staff only area to ask a senior for help.

Ten minutes later, Noor was staring out the window, watching the clouds underneath her when she felt a presence next to her. She turned to see the same girl, this time with a tray of food in her hand.

Noor smiled at her and unhooked the tray in front of her to make space for the food, "Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'm sorry again for not knowing about it. Enjoy your meal," The flight attendant said before scurrying off.

"Cute," Noor muttered under her breath, shaking her head before she grabbed the chopsticks to eat. "This looks good. Bismillah."

She blew on the food before taking a bite and immediately felt her heart melting. It wasn't quite the taste of home, but it was definitely close. It only made her more excited to get to Korea quicker and be able to feel at home.

After she finished eating, she checked the time to see that there was only two of the flight left so she got into the bathroom. She splashed her face with water before redoing her hijab, hiding all her hair and making sure she was covered properly.

Returning back to her seat, she closed the small divider that allowed her privacy. She had chosen first class for her flight— not because she wanted to waste money, but because she was afraid that in economy someone would end up recognising her and she wasn't ready for that yet.

Readjusting her seat into a laying position, she tried to get to sleep to rid herself of the stress. "It'll be fine, Noor," She muttered to herself, closing her eyes, "Stop overthinking."

..'• 🪔•'..

When she reopened her eyes, it was already time of the arrival and they were landing in no more than ten minutes. She straightened up and fixed her appearance, putting on a mask to cover the lower part of her face as she was still paranoid about being recognised.

She was the last to leave the plane and the second she stepped out, the reality of it all hit her. "Ya Allah, protect me," She muttered to herself, reciting Ayat ul Kursi under her breath for protect.

She managed to collect her bags, which were minimal since she didn't bring much, and just as she was leaving, she spotted a camera. And then another... and a whole heap of reporters and cameramen and flashing lights. Her heart sank and she almost bolted out the building, but was quick to realise that she weren't walking in her direction.

A loud cheer erupted and she saw a crowd gathered by the arrival gates, phones and gift bags in their hands. An odd sense of deja vu hit her. She had experienced this in the past a million times, roars of her fans crowding in airports to get a glimpse of the stars.

It reminded her that it wasn't uncommon for celebrities to be at the airport in South Korea and the same with fans— but with the amount of people crowding the area... Who could be this famous?

Her question was answer no more than a second later when a tall gentleman walked through the door, a smile on his face as he waved to the crowd. Then another, grinning man followed after him. The next one blew a kiss dramatically towards the crowd and they gave the expected reaction of screaming loudly. The one after just walked by with a soft smile, his head low. The next to entered together, making the fans swoon all over again. Finally, the last of the group walked out in an all black outfit, grinning as he waved to the crowd with both hands, then making a questionable looking heart.

Noor, as much as she tried not to, found herself staring at this man longer than she should have. Maybe it was the shock, but she couldn't get herself to look away.

Right before he disappeared into the car waiting for him outside, he ended up making eye contact with her and even from the distance, it seemed as though he furrowed his brows, almost as if he recognised her.

She came to her sense and looked away quickly, shaking her head and scolding herself, "Astaghfirullah, Noor, what are you doing? You're supposed to avert your gaze, you idiot." Even as she scolded herself and felt a car go past her — the car the boys had just gotten into — she couldn't help but feel as if someone was still watching her.

She shook her head and got herself a cab quickly so that she could feel a little at ease away from all the reported and cameras.

In the back of the cab, she ignored the odd looks the driver sent her— he was an older man and it was obvious that he didn't understand why someone speaking perfect Korean and looking like her would ever be wearing a hijab. Instead of respectfully asking about it, he chose to stare with disgust.

She sighed and internally regretted not getting a better cab in the haste of getting away from the paparazzi. Thankfully, her phone ringing saved her the unease. She quickly shut the window between the driver and the backseats.

"Hello? Who is this?" She picked up the phone.

"I'm offended you don't have my number saved. Seriously, three years away and you've forgotten me?"

Noor's face lit up with a smile, "Unnie, how could I forget you? I had to get a new sim card, that's why I don't have your number saved."

"Is that really it?" The other girl teased, "Anyway, are you out of the airport, Wonie?"

The old nickname warmed her heart. Only a select few people were allowed to call her that. "Yes, just got out. I'm on my way to the cabin now."

"Alright, that's good. Saw on the news that BTS were just at the airport too. They were getting back from their trip to the US. Did you manage to avoid the reporters?"

"Hm, I think so. I was a little too close for comfort but I think I made it out safe. It was a little scary though. I thought they somehow found me."

"Well, I'm glad you're safe. Have a safe journey to the cabin. And if this old lady turns out to be a murderer, call me so I can make a documentary about your tragic death."

"Very funny," Noor deadpanned, "I'll talk to you soon. I'll text you when I get there."

"Alright~" The girl said, "stay safe. Love you."

"Hm, love you too. Bye."

She hang up and turned her head to stare up at the setting sun, the familiar skyline of Seoul outside her window bringing back memories. She could spot the building of her old company for this distance, the apartment she lived in with all her members— her heart ached a bit. She missed them. Missed her family.

It was hitting her now just how much she had truly missed home.

It felt good to be back.