My step father is my mate

A week was gone in an instant and I had no clue how fast time flew when buried neck-deep in chores. I had taken more time off school partly to help in the wedding preparations and well, because I wasn't mentally prepared to step into that cursed environment yet.

It wasn't like I had a choice, my involvement in the wedding planning process was a case of any port in a storm. Just like mom admitted, I was like an NPC who had to still take on a maid's duty.

Yeah, I thought it was a joke too, when she first mentioned it. But my mother wasn't one to tell jokes.

The makeup artist finished applying my makeup and I sighed as I stared in the mirror. I walked out of the dressing room, and went back to my own room, feeling so insecure about everything, including my existence.

The make up artist was the only one who paid attention to me, well at least to my face, the rest of them acted like I wasn't there, which I kind of appreciated, because things would have been a bit more awkward than they were now. The outfit I was given, was too revealing making my tiny curves obvious.

Earlier, I saw servants running about, the hustle and bustle infecting the air as preparations were being set to perfection. The place was looking lovely and that begged the question of why the goddamn wedding was being held in shadow pack? But I soon enough got my answer.

I soon heard the sound of the door rattling, I raked my fingers through my hair, ruining the work of the make up artist. I knew there was only one person that would come into the room I was, without knocking, and it made me shake like a leaf in winter.

What if I had done something wrong?

She might as well give me a complete make over.

As soon as the door opened, I stood straight, facing her, but avoiding her gaze at the same time.

She kept silent for a while, as her eyes scanned me, sending shivers down my spine. "You look...beautiful." She whispered.

Her words came as a shock. She never gave me compliments.

Was I dreaming or was it just the wedding changing her?

Maybe the kind man was rubbing off on her.

"Come on, darling, don't just stand there, give me a hug." She said, with her arms wide open.

I searched her eyes for any hint of mischief, but there was none. She looked genuinely happy, and it made my heart flutter like waves.

I walked up to her, she embraced me, wrapping her arms around me, squeezing me tightly. I heaved a sigh of relief, while considering the possibility that today might be the day my mother stopped hating me.

I stood there, grinning like a Cheshire Cat, when I heard a ripping sound. At first, I thought my dress had torn due to the impact of the hug, because it was very revealing to say the least, and very tight as well.

However, that wasn't the case. Mum had ripped the fabric, in a way that it couldn't be repaired. I realized her act of kindness earlier was just a ruse. She derived joy in tormenting me, especially with things she knew I longed for. Like a mother's love.

I moved back in shock, my mind raced with a million questions, my fingers trembled from the cold I was feeling inside, like I had been sucked into an ocean of despair.

"You..you just—"

I struggled to form the words, because it felt like my tongue had been tied.

"What were you thinking, dressing like a slut? It's your own mother's wedding, yet you want to be the center of attention so bad that you had to dress like that. You have been doing that since you were born, aren't you tired?"

The look of disgust she gave me as she spoke, made me feel even more insecure than I did earlier. She looked at me like I was an abomination.

Tears welled from deep inside and coursed down my cheeks, as I spoke. "I wasn't trying to steal the spotlight, mum, I was given the dress."

"Yeah, you just happened to wear the most revealing dress by chance on the day of my wedding. Find something more appropriate to wear and meet me in 20 minutes. Not a minute less." She instructed, before leaving the room and closing the door with a loud thud.

I cleaned my tears, crying wouldn't make me feel any better, so there was no need. I searched for a more appropriate dress to wear instead, while filling my mind with other thoughts. Why was the wedding being held in the Shadow pack.

When mum had told me the wedding was taking place there, I was completely dumbstruck because of all the places, it just had to be my ex-boyfriend's pack–Shadow pack, instead of ours, Moonlight pack.

And I wondered why.

I was yet to meet mom's groom because apparently he had been busy with clearing his schedule for the wedding arrangements; but I did understand from everything mum told me that he was very wealthy.

I hadn't met him yet, but whoever he was, I hoped he was as kind as I thought him to be, maybe he would help change mum.

Walking into the garden to take my sit, my heart paused when I noticed Sue sucking on Kai's face. It was more sickening than heartbreaking because both were just pure jerks. She turned to give me mocking eyes and I looked away, steeling my resolve of not letting anything spoil this day for me. I needed to be happy for my mother who absolutely didn't give a fuck, even though I felt like running for the hills.

When I noticed that my purposeful ignorance was getting on her nerves, I gave myself a mental high five. My peace was short-lived because Sue and Kai moved from their seats to seat themselves behind me.

I got tapped on my shoulder and my body grew rigid. I felt Kai's intoxicating scent–which was I now found to be utterly disgusting as it made my stomach churn–engulf me as he leaned closer to say,

"Fucking price of shit, I'm sure your mum seduced my father just so she could become a high ranking wolf. You're trash and you'll always remain trash... don't think my father getting married to your mother is going to change anything, Nina."

Wait! Mum was getting married to his father?

I felt like a bucket of ice was poured on me, after his revelation. She mentioned earlier that we went to the same school, but of all people, Kai was the least person I expected to be my step brother.

The universe must be playing pranks on me again.

"You look like you're deep in thoughts, what is it? Are you thinking about how much money you're going to get from my dad? You stupid whore."

His words angered me because I couldn't bear him trash-talking my mother.

"When your mother is such a slut, it's no surprise that you're one." Sue snickered.

"You should have objected to the wedding because your life is going to become a living hell." Kai's voice darkened, sending shivers down my spine, but I chose to ignore him.

The hall was soon filled with guests of different calibre and they looked stunning. I zoned out my aggressors the moment I noticed a rather powerful aura engulf the room and a particular masculine that I could swear I had perceived before. Glancing up, I fed my eyes on the tall man walking down the aisle with a stoic look on his face. He looked magnificent and utterly terrifying yet extremely young and drool-worthy.

Was that mom's groom?

His eyes fell on my side of the crowd and I noticed his eyes darkened when he spotted someone. He deviated from the straight path of the aisle and headed my way. My heart skipped a beat but my anxiety soon turned into confusion when I noticed him standing in front of column that Kai was seated in.

"Why aren't you standing at your spot as my cheif-groom's-man?" His deep baritone demanded.

Kai looked like a deer caught in the headlight as he gazed at the man before averting his gaze, "I don't–"

"We've talked about this before, Kai... I do not want to hear this conversation again." His voice was commanding and screamed finality. His eyes landed on mine and without another word, he was gone.

But that wasn't what struck me. What struck me was the struck me was the striking resemblance between Kai and this man. Suddenly, it all made sense. From their eyes to their same color of hair and build, I couldn't help understanding that Kai was really the said son. Plus, he looked a little too dressed up for the event... now I knew why.

And that meant that mom's groom was none other than the Alpha of Shadow pack. It began to make sense why the wedding was being held here instead of our pack.

Oh shit! That automatically meant Kai was going to become my step-brother. The mere thought of it was making me sick to my stomach and I suddenly found myself wanting to be in any other places but here. I couldn't phantom myself living under the same roof with that bloody asshole.

The Alpha, Vince Landon Kosvec, a very tall man with jet black hair that was nearly trimmed, stood in a black suit with hands clasped behind him. His aura was terrifying and screamed power, his stoic stance added to his domineering and intimidating persona.

His chin was clean shaven and on his neck, peeking from the collar of his shirt, was a tattoo of a swords driven through a serpent. His chiseled face held defined cheekbones, his pointed nose trailed down to slim pale red lips. His trimmed mop of curls grazed his thick brows and his sea-green eyes fluttered around as he took in his guests.

He had thick lashes that framed his lids each time he blinked and his lips remained pressed in a thin line. He was indeed a fine mine, coated with prestige. His tailored suit hugged his perfectly and his shiny black shoe added to his clean and neat appearance. My breaths hitched when his eyes met mine before briefly drifting to rest on his son.

Alpha Vince was indeed the definition of prim and proper, the rumored kill-machine of Shadow pack. Very few people knew what he looked like because he wasn't of the habit of always making his presence known much–or so I had heard. He was a gentleman that was feared and respected, revered and adored by all. He was just and ruled with a firm hand, becoming a nightmare to all who dared defile him.

No one dared go against him, for the consequences could be dire. I gawked at him with widened eyes wondering how on earth my mother had met him. If the rumors surrounding him were true then perhaps my mother should have thought this through properly.

But mom wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her wellbeing so the least I could do was trust her judgement, swallow all my questions and support her throughout. If he was the man that brought that wholesome smile to her face then I was willing to put on a smile for her sake.

The wedding song came on and everyone present stood. My eyes flooded with happy tears when I saw my mother walk through the door dressed in a lovely white gown. She was truly beautiful and when our eyes met, she flashed me smile, which was obviously for show, but I still reciprocated. She beckoned me over and I rushed to her side to take her hand.

She was squeezing it too tight, but I had to pretend like everything was fine. "Don't embarrass me you little whore," she whispered, as I held her hands.

After walking her down the aisle, I stood by her side, watching her take her vows while trying my hardest not to meet Kai's gaze because he was glaring daggers at me. Whereas I was happy, my anxiety soared when I noticed a death glare boring into the back of my head and I knew damn well that Sue was responsible for it.

Kai definitely wasn't happy with the development, that much was obvious by the reluctance he displayed while standing there. because apparently, having to deal with my presence twenty-four hours a day, every fucking day, was nauseating for him.

Of all people to fall in love with it just happened to be the father of my ex-boyfriend. Way to go mom.

I sighed because I needed to come up with ways to make sure my contact with him would be reduced to the dinning room. I definitely had no plans of putting up with his presence because I was yet to forgive him for everything he had done to me and I doubted I would.

"You may kiss the bride."

The officiator's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I instantly began clapping when Alpha Vince took her lips in his. The small crowd cheered and clapped as well, offering their support to their Alpha.

The reception party was the next event and I kept glancing at my mom, watching her get greeted by guests who congratulated her on her wedding. I heard some snide comments from a corner about her sleeping her way to the title of Luna and it made me want to say ugly things to the gossiping women. If they weren't happy about the wedding, they should have stayed home.

The hired band was playing a classic tune, the melody from the pianist and violinist, creating a classy atmosphere. It was indeed a fine event and worth the money spent.

"You look really lovely in that dress," someone said to me.

I turned around to look for whoever it was and noticed a young boy who looked like Kai, but a younger version, smiling widely at me.

I was about to give him a reply when my gaze met mum's, and with her instant look of disapproval, I scurried away, leaving the boy standing there confusedly. I knew I was going to get into trouble for it.

A waiter passed by immediately and I took a glass of wine. After some minutes, I swiped another glass of white wine from the tray of another passing waiter and brought it to my lips. I wasn't one to drink but today was an exception. Besides, the whole development with Kai deserved some alcohol because I was going to be seeing more of that freaking snake, Sue.

Fuck my luck!

My eyes fell on Kai who had ditched his suit jacket and was now roughly dressed with his hair spiking in every direction. Sue was clinging to him, her red dress hugging her body almost impossibly. I almost wondered if she could breathe trapped in that contraption.

I removed my eyes from them, sighing heavily at the saddening sight. "Assholes." I muttered to myself, bringing the glass to take another sip.

I was about taking the last gulp of my wine when a sudden smell of Chocolate and earth musk wafted through my nose. My senses were suddenly alert and a tingly sensation traveled down my spine. I felt heat grow in my body as jolts of electricity zapped my heart.

My heart beats slowed and it suddenly felt like time had slowed, my soul was filled with need, yearning to locate the source of the smell that nearly had me purring. My lashes fluttered as my eyes flickered, my feet suddenly began moving on it own like a moth drawn to a flame.

"Mate!" A quiet voice purred in my head.

I was startled by the unexpected intrusion, wondering where the voice came from.

"Mate is here, go to mate." The voice came again.

What was happening to me? I couldn't think properly, all I wanted to do was find the source of the scent that rocked my body. It was almost as if I had been placed in a trance by the voice that echoed in my head, hypnotizing my thoughts. I began navigating through the sea of people, sniffing the air desperately.

"Find mate, he will make you stronger. Mate is powerful. Find mate." The voice kept chanting in my head.

I blindly obeyed, moving without a clue. My eyes flitted about, as my feet moved. I couldn't hear anything else, all I could hear were my own heart beats.

In the midst of my desperate search, I ended up missing my step and twisting my feet on my heels, almost twisting my ankle in the process of tripping. I expected to feel the hard and cold floor slap against my skin but rather I had collided with something hard and warm?

I looked up after seconds of recovering from my daze but every breath got knocked out of my chest when I sniffed the hard wall I had collided against, discovering that it indeed was  the source of the hypnotic scent that numbed my senses and rendered me frozen. Further raising my head, I made another discovery. I hadn't run into a wall but rather, none other than Alpha Vince Kosvec.

His built arms wrapped around my slim waist and his eyes peered into mine with such intensity that sent shivers down my body, rendering me lost in those marvelous orbs of his. His touch set my body ablaze and I felt a pooling need to throw myself into his arms and have him claim me.

"Mate... he's mate." The voice purred, howling in my head.

His arms never left my waist as he gently asked, "are you okay?"