ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ

you set down your phone

you set down your phone. that wasn't really something you needed right now. after profusely apologizing to xiao despite his constant reassurance that it was no big deal, you were left kind of tired.

you put your phone and your wallet in your pocket, and began to walk around the small apartment to find an umbrella.

you lived alone, due to your parents kicking you out at a young age. was it even legal, considering you were, and still are a minor? you're not sure. but that doesn't matter to you now. at least, not anymore.

you were labeled lazy and useless, going through a major depression in middle school had practically molded you into a lump.

your parents assumed you would never make it in life, always drawing and never doing anything else in your spare time, which could have been used to study.

it wasn't until it was too late and you were already kicked out that they learned that you had been saving up money from a job you worked at during the night.

you had saved up enough to provide for yourself and purchase a small cramped apartment, with a nice landlady and decent neighbors. but now, that's all in the past.

what matters right now... is finding your stupid fucking umbrella. the skies have been unusually gloomy as of late. perhaps it's because of spring showers.

finally locating your jellyfish patterned umbrella under your bed, you can head out and buy groceries. you open the door and lock it behind you with a click, and you set off.

you stopped by the convenience store down the road. when you opened the door, a bell rang, signifying your sudden entrance.

"welcome." a calm feminine voice greeted you. behind the counter was kuki shinobu, likely working, and... two big red horns peeking out from under the counter.

you stared at the two horns with a sweatdrop on your cheek. "is he...?" you spoke after a few moments. arataki itto peeked over the counter, before ducking back down again.

"can they see me?!" you heard itto whisper over to shinobu, who sighed and whispered back. "your horns, boss."

"what about my horns?!?!" he huffed, and peeked back above the counter to look at you again. "i don't think they can. come on, why didn't you tell me that [y/n] was coming? i would have brought my comb..."

"but you always have your comb on you." shinobu glanced back up at you with an apologetic expression, before continuing to speak with the terribly hidden oni, "and how was i supposed to know? i don't keep track of who comes and goes, that's not my job."

"well not today!!" the oni whisper-shouted back, "my hair is always perfect, but the second they walked in, it spiked up like a christmas tree!" 

"i think the bell just startled you, boss."

"well i can't let them see me like this!! what would they say??!"