𝟬𝟬𝟰. battle time

chapter four
battle time

   THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS — was fast asleep

THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS — was fast asleep. It was strange to Gabriella, seeing the noisy city she had grown to love being in complete silence. The only one who seemed happy about this was Mrs. O'Leary, Percy's pet hellhound. They found her by a fallen hot dog stand, peacefully licking the owner's thumb while he was asleep.

Every demigod looked like they were freaking out. Argus, who was waiting for all of them, had his one hundred eyes wide opened in fright. He never spoke, supposedly because there was an eye on his tongue, but it seemed clear he was just as nervous.

Percy filled him in on what happened on Olympus and how the gods wouldn't be doing anything. Argus rolled his eyes in disgust, making Gabriella squirm a little. His whole body swirled.

"You'd better get back to camp," Percy told him. "Guard it as best you can."

Argus pointed at him and raised his eyebrow.

"I'm staying," Percy informed him.

Argus nodded, then looked at Annabeth, drawing a circle in the air with his finger.

"Yes," Annabeth agreed. "I think it's time."

"For what?" Percy questioned.

Argus rummaged around in the back of his van. He brought out a bronze shield, handing it to Annabeth. It looked pretty much like the round shield they'd used in capture the flag. However, once Annabeth set it on the ground, the reflection on the polished metal changed from sky and buildings to the Statue of Liberty—which wasn't even near them.

"Whoa," Percy stared at it. "A video shield."

"One of Daedalus's ideas," Annabeth explained. "I had Beckendorf make this before—" she glanced at Silena. "Um, anyway, the shield bends sunlight or moonlight from anywhere in the world to create a reflection. You can literally see any target under the sun or moon, as long as natural light is touching it. Look."

Everyone crowded around as Annabeth concentrated. The image zoomed and spun at first, which made Gabriella a little motion sick just watching it. They were in the Central Park Zoo, zooming down East 60th, going past Bloomingdale's, then turning on Third Avenue.

"Whoa," Connor said. "Back up. Zoom in right there."

"What?" Annabeth said nervously. "You see invaders?"

"No, right there—Dylan's Candy Bar." Connor grinned at his brother. "Dude, it's open. And everyone is asleep. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Connor!" Katie scolded. "This is serious. You are not going to loot a candy store in the middle of a war!"

"Sorry," Connor muttered, not even with an ounce of shame.

Annabeth passed her hand in front of the shield, and another scene appeared: FDR Drive, looking across the river at Lighthouse Park.
"This will let us see what's going on across the city," she said. "Thank you, Argus. Hopefully we'll see you back at camp...someday."