Part 29

In the car, Manik and Nandini were on their way to the hospital for Nandini's doctor's appointment, Manik's mind was swirling with a whirlwind of emotions and questions. He glanced over at Nandini, who sat beside him, her expression calm and serene despite the impending appointment.

"Are you nervous?" Manik asked, his voice betraying a hint of anxiety.

Nandini smiled, "A little, but mostly excited. How about you?"

Manik getting the better of him. "Yeah, nervous. I mean, this is... it's a big deal, right?"

Nandini reached over and squeezed his hand. "It's natural to feel that way, Manik. But trust me, everything will be fine. We're in this together."

Manik took a deep breath, trying to steady his racing heart. "I know, I know. It's just... What if something's wrong? What if..."

Nandini cut him off gently. "Hey, hey, don't go down that road, Manik. We've been through so much already, and we've always come out stronger. Whatever happens, we'll face it together."

Manik nodded, trying to push aside his worries. "You're right. I just... I want everything to be perfect, you know? For you, for the baby..."

Nandini smiled warmly. "It will be perfect, Manik. No matter what."

As they continued their journey, Manik couldn't help but pepper Nandini with questions about the baby. 

Nandini chuckled at his enthusiasm, patiently answering each question with a smile.

They shared a laugh as they pulled into the hospital parking lot, their conversation easing the tension that had been building inside Manik. As they made their way inside, hand in hand, he felt a sense of excitement and anticipation building in his chest.

In the hospital, they were called in for an ultrasound appointment. Walking hand in hand, they entered the room, a mix of excitement and nervousness washing over them.

Nandini lay down on the examination table while Manik stood beside her, holding her hand tightly. The technician prepared the equipment.

As the ultrasound screen lit up, they both held their breath, waiting to see their baby for the first time. The technician moved the wand over Nandini's abdomen, and suddenly, there it was - their baby, tiny yet distinct, on the screen.

Nandini squeezed his hand gently, her eyes brimming with tears of joy as they watched their baby's image flicker on the screen.

Technician: "And there's the heartbeat."

As they gazed at the ultrasound screen, a wave of emotions washed over Manik. He never considered himself a family man, especially considering the strained relationship between his parents. But right at that moment, a protective instinct surged within him like never before.

Manik's heart swelled with determination as he looked at the tiny figure on the screen. He promised to be a present and loving parent, to be their best friend through every triumph and tribulation. He would be the father he wished he had, the pillar of support and love that his child deserved.

The sound of their baby's heartbeat filled the room, a steady rhythm that overwhelmed them with joy, feeling the miracle of life growing inside Nandini.

After the ultrasound, they met with the doctor in her office. The doctor reviewed the ultrasound images and discussed Nandini's health and the baby's progress.

Doctor: "Everything looks good so far, Nandini. But I must emphasize the importance of taking care of yourself. Your health directly affects the baby's well-being."