⛓️3. Chain⛓️

The door opened and my son stormed into the house.

- Alec, what happened? Where is your sister?

He stopped to give me an angry look and went upstairs without answering.

Silk and I looked at each other in wonder.

I worried as usual for my children, especially for April who didn't return with Alec. I ran following my son, to ask what happened and why Alec had such a look.

- Chain...Silk called from below.

I turned to look at her momentarily.

- Calm down my love. Don't scare him. She said smiling.

I smiled. I needed a break right now. Silk was right. When they were born I felt like the happiest man in the world that happiness did not fit in my heart, this love I felt I probably did not manage to control it, to calm it down. I never stopped worrying about my children. Of course, I had no experience. I became a father but I had no idea what awaited me along the way, how many strokes and heart attacks I would go through during their lifetime, especially when the children are my life and all I wanted was for them to be happy, not to go through what have I been through, without love, and care...

Of course, according to Silk and now recently according to my daughter, I am excessive, overprotective and I don't let them breathe. Unfortunately, I couldn't do otherwise. I tried... I'm still trying, but how do I keep calm when she's alone out there in a world I've unfortunately learned how dirty and rotten it is? When I know what's lurking out there? When I, myself, have tasted cruelty, pain, and perversion to the fullest?

I couldn't tame this worry no matter how hard Silk tried to keep the balance and calm me down with her reassuring words. I know she lived in a different environment, more normal than mine, so she has no idea. She can't even imagine what thoughts go through my mind every time my children go out into the concrete jungle.

Is it possible for me to see my son enter the house with such an ominous glare, run to his room without even greeting me, and ignore it?

I knocked on his room door.

- Alec?

No reply.

I knocked again.

- Alec?

Nothing.

- Are you ok? If you don't answer, I'm coming in.

Without a second thought, I went inside.

He was sitting at the computer with headphones on, so he couldn't hear me.

I took off his headphones and he turned around startled.

- I'm talking to you, Alec.

- Dad, you made me lose! He said annoyed.

- Put the game aside. You'll play afterward, although, you have to wash up and go downstairs to eat. Since you know we always eat on time. The time of eating is important and it is good to have a fixed time and not to eat whenever you feel like it or you will ruin your health.

- Since April is not here, we can't eat yet altogether, just like we usually do, so I have time to play a little.

Which brought me back to why I came to talk to Alec.

- What happened? Why did you come home alone? Where is your sister? We sent her to pick you up from school! You know very well how dangerous the streets of downtown New York are with so much traffic and so many crazy people out there! Almost every day there are accidents on the roads!