December 23

Marcus' P.O.V.

"Yooo, bro..", I hear a voice and open my eyes.

Sonny. Sonny is a person who showed me that you don't even need a brother by blood if you have a friend like him. And it's been that way since we were toddlers.

"Bro, what is your arse doing here?", I ask as I prop up and he hugs me.

I hug him back and he hits the back of my head.

"Not even a text in December."

"Sonny bro, you live in my heart, that's enough."

"What has happened to you? Since when have you allowed random people to beat you up?"

"There were three of them and I was drunk. I was an easy target dawg."

"They ruined that pretty face of yours."

I roll my eyes and he chuckles.

"I'm angry with you, Marcus.", he states as he sits down and I sigh.

"I know. I'm angry with myself as well. What have you been up to?"

"I have my own ambulance now. People bring their pets, I cure them, I go to farms.. I never thought I'd have my hand in a cow's arse, but here we are. And I love it. You wouldn't believe how grateful animals are."

"I never thought you'd become a vet.", I reply honestly and he laughs.

"Where's the gang?"

"It will take you more time to get to the gang, bro. Darren is angry with you because you cut us all off. Simon is angry as well and he says your Londoners look way too posh.", he says laughing and I shake my head. Jahmaal is everywhere and nowhere to be honest."

"What has happened to Jah?", I ask and Sonny plays with his earring.

"He fathered 3 kids, three different women. Started working, lost his job. Then he saw some woman at the market and she was full. Cash. If you know what I mean. Followed her and stole her money. For nothing, bro, literally for nothing. They arrested him the next day. When I asked him why he did it, he said he wanted to feel something. Oh, and Jerome.. Jerome hangs out with Quan. "

"Bastard.", I proceed through my teeth and Sonny bites inside of his cheek.

"You don't talk to Quan, do you?", I ask him and he shakes his head.

"Sonny. Tell me the truth."

"Well, I say hello when I see him and that's it."

"What for, Sonny?", I ask frustrated and Sonny looks at me, rubbing his hands.

"Because he's changing. He's always been a good kid who made a couple of mistakes. He's shapin' up. Even sister Alisha is talking to him."

I narrow my eyes at him and he bites his lip.

"I.. I've just remembered I have to go. I need to examine some dog and -"

"Stop waffling and sit your ass down. What do you mean Alisha and Quan are talking?"

"I.. Maybe I got it wrong."

"Kaison Campbell.", I call him by his first name and he looks at me, licking his lips.

"What have you seen?"

"They're.. Hanging out. I guess they're bonding again."

"My sister doesn't have one brain cell. One. Neither do you. What the hell, Sonny?"

"He's changing, Marcus. You'll see."

"I won't see shit.", I retort and Sonny rubs his nose.

The nurse comes in and informs us that my papers will be ready in an hour and then I can leave the hospital. I groan and I see that Sonny is uncomfortable. As he should be. Why does he greet Quan? There's nothing they have in common.