20: Alarum

"We should consider the devil's offer."

"Oh hells, Lae'zel, you cannot possibly be serious!" Gale wrings his hands.

"I must free my prince - my people! How else do you suggest we retrieve the hammer?" Lae'zel shouts, equally exasperated and stubborn.

Aysla and Astarion eye each other. They and their companions intend to kill Cazador tomorrow, and bickering or focusing on anything else at all seems frivolous.

"Look - why don't we all take a breather from worrying about the hammer, just for the day. If we're to go to Cazador's palace tomorrow, we need to prepare. Aysla, perhaps you can pair with our friend, Lae'zel, while Gale accompanies me to this, er, Sorcerer's Sun Dyes you called it?" Astarion looks to Gale for confirmation.

Aysla looks slightly hurt before recovering composure, at the realization they will not spend the day together. But it's Astarion's revenge they plan for, so she'll allow herself to be relegated if it's somehow part of his plan. "Sure," she says lightly.

"Lovely darling - thank you." He presses a kiss to her cheek by way of apology.

"It's Sorcerer's Sundries - but fine. Just don't do anything rash without us," Gale scoffs, walking away.

"We won't. Not sure how much trouble we can get into at a bank, after all." Aysla rolls her eyes. "If you're going to the bookstore, can you try to find me one on plane-shifting? Apparently it's something I should be able to do - would make stealing that hammer a lot easier, anyway."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"What exactly are we looking for, here?" Gale asks Astarion, as he rifles through books.

"Must you breathe down my neck? I assumed you wanted to look for information on your precious crown, did you not?" Astarion tenses.

"Fine," Gale shrugs away. "I'll leave you to it then. I'll just await you at the front whenever you're finished looking for whatever it is you may or may not be looking for."

"Great!" Astarion says, shoulders still tensed. "A fine plan!"

"I've been meaning to ask you, Astarion," Gale says, pausing as he turns away. "Do you... do you mean to insert yourself into the Rite tomorrow?"

Astarion mulls over his words. "I think it would be unwise to not at least consider it."

"I see," Gale nods, seeming to be hesitant to say more, but clearly wanting to. "And what do you think you could find in a book that might convince you otherwise?"

Astarion shoves a book back in its case. "I don't know - but I will let you know if I find it," he huffs, with the last of his patience.

Gale simply nods once more, deciding to let it be, and turns away.

Astarion turns back to his search. He retrieves the book he had carelessly shoved once more, and he tucks it away. Already having skimmed through it and dog-eared the page, he knows it contains the information he needs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Aysla makes it back to camp that evening before Astarion and Gale return. She arrives toting a large stack of papers.

"And what in the hells is that?" Shadowheart asks. "Not a devil's contract, I hope. Gale will be furious."

"Oh, just the documentation Astarion will need if he wants to usurp someone properly. For all the murdering we're sure to do tomorrow, we may as well ensure it doesn't go to waste," Aysla replies, going up to one of their camp's chests and filing everything away.