ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

how did it all start?

where did it all go wrong?

maybe it was when your parents died, fighting custody over you. rage overtaking them as they slaughtered each other mercilessly, until both of them bled out on the floor.

if only their throats didn't have deep gashes, maybe then they could have apologized for their mistake as they slowly died. you saw the hurt and regret in their eyes as you watched them die, their only child.

no, that wasn't it.

maybe it was when you were kidnapped and taken to an underground auction, where they had stripped you bare and tried to sell you. 

hundreds of eyes stared upon your delicate and untouched skin, as they began to bid for you.

no, that can't be it either.

maybe it was when gunshots rang out through the space, all the guests in masks falling to the floor as bullets pierced their skin and left them on the floor like ragdolls.

the way the thick scarlet liquid oozed out from the broken bodies, the overpowering scent of iron that made you dizzy, that wasn't it either.

ah, yes, you remember now.

it was when a boy in black, covered in bandages, leaned over to get a better look at you. his eyes were soulless and black with a hint of curiosity as he got up close. his dark hair was messy and ungroomed.

 that was your first encounter with osamu dazai, the demon prodigy.

"oi, dazai!" a ginger followed behind, "what are you waiting for?" he barked in an angry tone, his hands in his pockets as he approached.

dazai, which you assumed was the brunette's name, aimed his gun at your head. you stared back at him with a blank expression.

you stared back with eyes just as dark and empty as his.

something in him seemed to click as he moved the direction of the gun, aiming for the cage instead. a gunshot rang out, and the heavy lock on the cage fell off, destroyed.

"what are you doing?" the ginger eyed him curiously and judgmentally. he was ignored as dazai stepped into the cage, and grabbed your arm.

his touch was gentle and firm as he pulled you out. you were severely underweight, but you could tell it still took some effort out of him.

the ginger noticed you were wearing nothing, and looked away respectfully. he took off his coat and pulled it over your shoulders for modesty.

dazai had also noticed, but paid it no mind. he began to walk to the exit. the ginger growled and followed behind. "are we seriously gonna take them with us? that wasn't part of the plan."

"chuuya-kun, don't be silly. of course we are!" dazai replied cheerfully, an awful contrast to his mood a few moments before.

you said nothing as you were pulled along. who was this? where are you going? you looked over to chuuya, which you had just learned was his name, for any context. 

he didn't even look back at you as he grumbled and followed behind dazai. so you stared down at the floor instead, using your free hand to hold the coat close to your body.

the rest was a blur in your mind.

you met another man that same day. a horrible man. his purple-toned hair was slicked back and his smile told you that he wasn't to be trusted. what a dreadful smile he had.

 what a dreadful smile he had