6: Charm

•⚜⚜•

Steps amble winding streets lined amongst cherry blossom trees, its branches gently swaying in the wind, showers of petals embellishing them, golden rays bathing lustrous brunette strands, Lisa stole a few glances at the stunner beside whose gaze was determined ahead bellied in ascertainment. Sleek heels tapped on the cobblestone pathways while the rhythmic clump of ankle boots mirrored their synchronized pace.

Unspoken guidance for directions passes in secretiveness Lisa was never much of a talker unless there was any need she didn’t ask where they were going but the familiar path did give her some presumptions.  

As they neared a vintage bistro adjacent to the college Irene pushed the door with a radiant smile on her lips she turned inviting Lisa inside. Along the ambient sounds of the clinking of dishes and the savory aroma of freshly prepared meals, the bustling atmosphere greeted them, filled with the chatter of patrons.

Lisa looked around the crowded tables noting a group of giggling students from their college. A grey-haired stern-looking woman lunching alone frowns at the adolescent pupils, a family with their children, and another group of girls from their college. The lunchtime hurry and noise seemed to rush the waitresses who had managed to hold a professional smile as they attended to the needs of each table taking orders and delivering food and drinks efficiently. 

A young waitress appeared in front of them hazel eyes sparked joviality lips curved into welcoming smiles to coat the tiredness. “Iren,” voice softly greeted. 

“Eve, hopefully, you saved a seat,” Irene inquired, returning a delighted demeanor.

“Yes, you’re usual,” Eve replied, gesturing towards a table nestled at the end of the third row. Lisa noticed the empty seat there was much more cozy and less noisy. “Is that okay?”

“Perfect,” affirmed Irene with a kind nod. “Thank you,” 

Lisa observed the innocent blush imprinted on the young waitress’ cheeks by the simple interaction adorned with earnestness in her manner as she hurried off to help another waiter.  

Taking their seats, Irene ordered their meal. “Right, then,” she begins, running her fingers through her hair before gracefully settling her elbows on the table. Eyes bore into each other, a hint of apprehension in her gaze. “Now that I’ve saved you from Wendy, do you mind enlightening me on what you want with my book?”

“Read, obviously,” Lisa shrugs. One thing she was sure of was — she didn’t want Bae Irene to know what was going on with her. Gazes flitted away as if her senses had felt an unseen presence creeping nearby. Ruby Jane is somewhere thus hidden. 

“Read,” skeptically Irene mummers. “ Why are your simple answers raising my doubts, I wonder,” 

Lisa cleared her throat; the subtle shift of mere words passing between them occurred to change the atmosphere. Her birthmark pulses. “ Come on, what else could I use it for? It’s a book full of someone’s imagination. “ She laughed it off hoping Irene would buy the remarks. 

Which she didn’t. 

“ Fantasies are not made up with lies and imagination Lisa, sometimes they get inspired by real untold events,” Irene’s voice deepens for a moment Lisa sees something transient on her features. “ And this is my favorite,” she picked up the book, fingers outlined. “ It has only one copy not for sale nowhere else to be found. This is not a storybook. It has rituals and meanings. If you’re looking for a fantasy then this is not for you.” 

“Wait!” Hands clutch the edge of the book, eyes lingered upon the daring touches. “ I want to know about the rituals,” she confessed.  

“ Why?”