CHAPTER FOUR, i see the light

(alaina's outfit for the chapter is above) 

Alaina did her usual shift at the animal shelter in the morning, then went home to have lunch and relax for a bit. When she returned to the hospital in the afternoon, she brought Nico some chocolate chip cookies that she had made earlier that morning. She knew Nico loved these cookies and was sure it would put a smile on his face. "Hey, Alaina!" Noelani greets her like normal whenever she came to the hospital. "Here to see Nico again, I assume?" She said teasingly. She was leaning against the counter with Charles, the two nurses looking at her with amusement.

Alaina rolls her eyes, unable to stop the blush from forming on her cheeks. "What's it to you?" She grumbled, trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice.

"Nothing, nothing." Noelani replies, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "It's just cute how you two are so in love."

"We're not-"

"In love?" Charles cuts her off, finishing her sentence. He scoffs, shaking her head. "Oh, please, girl. You're fooling no one."

Alaina opens her mouth to protest, but realizes there's no point in denying it. After all, the truth was staring her right in the face. "Fine," She concedes, throwing her hands up in exasperation. "I admit it. I'm in love with Nico."

"Aww, we're so happy for you!" Noelani squeals, clapping her hands together excitedly. "You two are so cute together."

Charles nods, his eyes twinkling with mirth. "I gotta agree with her, girl," He says, smirking at her. "You guys are perfect for each other. You're like the Romeo and Juliet of our generation."

"Well, Romeo and Juliet both died, so I'm not sure that's a compliment." Alaina retorted dryly, causing Noelani and Charles to laugh.

"Fair point," Noelani says, a mischievous smile playing on her lips. "But we're not worried. We know you'll find a way to beat the odds and live happily ever after." She chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah." Alaina mutters, rolling her eyes. "Now can I please go see Nico?"

"Of course," Noelani grinned, gesturing towards Nico's room.

"Hold on," Charles chimes in after noticing the container of chocolate chip cookies in Alaina's hands. "Are those your homemade chocolate chip cookies? The ones that are like heaven on earth?"

"Yes, they are," Alaina confirms, feeling a hint of pride in her chest. "Would you two like one?"

"You know it!" Charles and Noelani say at the same time, smiling brightly at her. Alaina chuckled, looking at them with amusement. She often brought cookies and treats for them and the other nurses, wanting to share the love of baking with them.

"Okay, here you go." She passes a cookie to each of them, smiling fondly at the delighted looks on their faces. "Enjoy, guys."

"Oh, we will," Noelani says, practically moaning as she takes a bite of the cookie.

"So good," Charles hums, his eyes closing in bliss. "You should totally be a baker, girl."

"Nah, I'm happy where I am." Alaina says, shrugging. "Plus, I'd probably eat too many of my own creations." She chuckled.

"True," Charles agrees, smirking at her. "Don't blame you if they would all be like this. Now go on, go see your man."

Alaina couldn't help but smile as she walked away, thinking about the fact that Nico was indeed her man. Well, not yet, but hopefully soon. If all goes well, she thinks to herself, feeling her heart skip a beat. With a smile on her face, she makes her way to Nico's room, excitement coursing through her veins.