Chapter 21

*7th Year*

Mariya was thrilled with how it had gone. The butterflies had acted as expected and now everyone in the school had a physical reminder of the beauty of magic. She knew that some students would be miffed when they found they couldn't clean off the tattoos, though Mariya was fairly sure that they were only temporary. She had done her best to make them stay there for a day or two, but the spell could be quite temperamental and she wouldn't be overly surprised if some students had them for a week or more.

Nonetheless, it had worked for the most part and the look she received from Remus after it told her that he knew she had done it. Indeed, he ambushed her at the break in-between third and fourth period.

"How did you do it?" His voice was quiet to stop any of the students near them hearing.

"Do what?"

"The prank - how did you manage it? I know it was you because that word was most definitely Ukrainian even if you didn't make it easy for me to recognise." Mariya gave him an appraising look.

"I'm impressed. It would have taken me a few moments to realise what it meant and I grew up speaking the language."

"Thank You. But don't think I don't see what you are doing. You're avoiding the question."

"You are too smart for me, Remus." Mariya sent him a sly grin before shrugging as she answered his question, "I just wanted to do something nice for everyone and I thought that I could incorporate an important message into it. I managed to find a lot of the charms in the library and the rest I asked my parents about."

"Well you have to explain to me exactly how you did it."

Mariya pouted. "But that would ruin all the fun for next time."

"So there will be a next time then? I was hoping you might do it again, I feel it is just what we need."

"Well I have a plan for Saturday but it will be a bit more complex to arrange."

"Well I won't ask you any more then. After all, I would still like the experience to be enjoyable and I trust you will let me know if I can help."

Mariya smiled brightly at him, "Of course. I would be happy to ask for your help if I ever need it."

With that, she left to go to her first class and Remus's facial expression turned to shock as James and Sirius appeared next to him to watch her walk away.

"Were you listening in to our conversation?" He asked incredulously.

The two nodded their heads, not seeming guilty in the slightest.

"We noticed you walking up to her and worked out that she had done it for ourselves. We thought she would be more likely to tell you how to do it than us and reckoned that if she did, you would be less than likely to relay to us." James explained.

Remus threw his hands into the disbelief, "I don't know what I'm going to do with he two of you."

"Stay friends with us forever and ever and always treasure our brilliance." James offered, slinging an arm around the other boy's shoulders.

Remus snorted, "Your brilliance, right! Let's go with that."

"How you wound us, Moony." Sirius raised a hand to clutch at his chest as though Remus's words had caused a physical pain. His other arm joined James's around Remus's shoulders as they began to walk down the corridor in the opposite direction to Mariya.

Remus sighed, "Why do I put up with you, again?"

"Because you love us and can't imagine a world without us. Besides, we know about your furry little secret."

"You make a good point Padfoot. I guess I am stuck with you then," Beginning to walk a bit faster, he added, "In which case, I would suggest that we increase speed so as not to end up late."

Both boys laughed at this, "It is known as being fashionably late, Moony. We do it all the time."

"No it isn't. Fashionably late makes you look cool, it does not get you put in detention."

Unfortunately for Remus, he was correct. Professor McGonagall did not take kindly to their being late, and they did indeed end up detention. Remus cast Sirius and James a See, I told you look which they both shrugged in response to, neither looking very apologetic. Remus rolled his eyes at their behaviour before swivelling back to the racoon sitting on his desk, which was stubbornly not turning into a teapot, no matter what he tried. His day was getting better and better by the minute, why did it have to be the full moon tomorrow as well?