Chapter 42

Saros POV - Malfoy Manor

The room was dark and the air stiflingly hot. Though the sun was shining outside, the windows had long been blocked out by dark curtains and the room was lit by an eerie, pale glow that seemed to radiate from nothing. A long table lay down the centre of the large room, similar to that found in the Seratov Manor but somehow more sinister, small but intricate carvings of snakes weaving their way along the edge of the wood.

The people in the room where almost as dark as the hall itself: their dark cloaks were pinned at their necks despite the heat of the chamber; their faces shone like pale beacons in the dim light but their eyes glittered menacingly as they sat in utter silence; a few of the faces held a hint of fear - most of whom were the new initiates: the ones who didn't yet know the taste of blood, who didn't know the thrill of the chase, or who were only there because their parents had thought it a good cause - or the people who had disappointed their master, the ones foolish enough to beg for continuance of their pathetic existences and who were now desperate to please the great wizard they called leader, though he was really more of a tyrant. An even smaller proportion looked happy to be there - said people were whispering up at the far end of the table, where the favourites sat, and were largely under the Imperius curse - the only exception being Narcissa Malfoy, who had been protected by her husband and sister. Lucius and Bellatrix were also sitting with her and, though they were smiling and talking in a way that might fool some people, there was a dead glint held in their eyes which signalled them out as cursed.

The majority of the group looked totally devoid of emotion, he was part of this sector, a good enough Occlumens to pretend. Most of these people were the experienced ones, the people who had helped with enough missions to be trusted and who hadn't failed him yet. They weren't well liked and so couldn't disappoint their master, but they were also not visibly scared of the mere concept of the man, if he could even be called that. They were not fooled by the terrifying pretence offered by the room and knew what to expect.

The focus of our attention was a man in his sixth year of Wizarding school, he sat directly opposite his slightly older, and almost identical, twin brother. To anyone around him he appeared to be holding a silent staring contest with the man. However, the unblinking stare was really to ensure they maintained they strand of Legilimency that connected them like an invisible rope.

'What do you reckon is taking him so long?' The first one asked.

'I figure he is just trying to freak out the newbies, give them a bit of a fright by building up the tension and then striding in with a dramatic flair.' His twin responded, and he could almost hear the mental roll of his eyes.

'I think he might be coming, Bella and Lucius are falling very quiet.'

'Good point, well I will talk to you in person after this is over.'

'Sounds good.' He responded, carefully breaking the link.

Not thirty seconds later, the twenty foot high doors at the end of the room burst open with a loud BANG, and a figure walked in. All of the people sitting at the table rose to their feet in welcome of their master, the new initiates scrambling to copy the adults as they had not expected this to happen.

In true theatrical flair, the man had determined his seat would be the one farthest from the entrance to the room, allowing him to walk past all of his followers before taking a seat. Many of them visibly shook with fear as he approached them and gave almost inaudible sighs of relief when he moved on; one person actually fainting with terror. Said person did not have to remember his fear for much longer, as he was quickly dispatched of with a flash of green light. This act made most of the quivering people freeze before sitting upright and doing their best to compose themselves.