Chapter 5

Liam didn't wait for a response and put on his jacket and walked over to the group that went with Miles and Sophia.

I made my way over to the Vinland and began to inspect it. The hull that had crashed into the island was completely repaired to the point where it looked brand new. I began to circle around towards the back of the ship to find that in perfect shape as well. It looked to me like the ship was ready to set sail. Layla appeared as I jumped up to the deck.

She leaned against the mast and inspected her hands that were covered in calluses with an annoyed look. She did not meet my eyes.

"You come by for an inspection?" She asked, clearly aware of my intentions.

"Well yes, but first let me apologize. I ordered for the ship to be driven into the land and beached. I know how much your creations mean to you so it must have been upsetting."

She turned to face me and finally gave eye contact.

"You bunch made a lot of work for me. Not only did you beach the ship, but someone let that tentacle monster poke a bunch of holes in my hull. But as long as you understand what you did wrong then it's fine, and I know it was necessary. I accept your apology."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"But that guy Darius has to come and give me a separate one. He still let the big ass octopus put holes in my ship. That shit should not have happened."

"I'll be sure to tell him. How are the repairs going? I know it's soon but I'd like to be able to leave within a week's time."

"Oh I'm pretty much done already. If you want, we should be able to leave by the end of tomorrow."

I gave her a stare of disbelief as she casually claimed to do something that I thought was impossible before trying to quickly recover before she could notice but my efforts were futile.

There was a bit of silence between us before she seemed to pick up what I was thinking.

"Don't get surprised like that, did you not circle around the ship just now and see that it was good as new?"

"I guess I did, but I was expecting there to be more problems internally and with the flooding-prevention magic."

"None of that was heavily damaged in the first place or we would have sunk. Harrison was also a great help, I was able to move much faster because of his heavy lifting."

She flexed her arms which were quite muscular and made a pose similar to one Harrison would make.

I guess it makes sense as she wouldn't be allowed to keep up her almost arrogant attitude if her skills were not exceptional.

"Speaking of Harrison, do you know where he went?"

"I'm pretty sure he said that he wanted to be with Sophia and wandered off towards where she is."

I thanked her and began to make my way to the bonfire where nearly the rest of the group was resting. Liam and Harrison had joined them since my trip to the boat as they sat around the fire and listened to Liam as he told them stories about his adventures in the Hell Plains.

Darius seemed to already feel a bit guilty about the boat's damage so after I told him Layla wanted an apology he quickly went off to find her. After listening to a few of Liam's stories myself, I separated from the group to begin my night watch.

I climbed to the top of the tower that Sebastian created just as the sun began to set. From up here, I could see the entire camp.

I hope that everyone is able to rest well after today. Those that helped fight the demon in the ocean, the Atapot, I think Liam called it? Well those that fought that monster are probably the most exhausted. The rest of them should still have a good bit of energy but it's always better to have more if possible, especially if what Liam told me is true.