14- "Everybody is a book of blood."

CHAPTER 14

"Everybody is a book of blood; where ever we're opened, we're red." ~ Clive Barker, "Books of Blood"

Hazel woke up with a start, turned on her side, and vomited on the floor. Her body was shaking as her vision came into focus.

The choker glowed once, alerting Məhv Edən to her condition, who appeared in the room instantly.

Hazel glanced at him before turning away from him as he approached her with caution.

He cleaned the sick with a wave of his wand and conjured a glass of water out of thin air.

"Drink this," he commanded.

Too weak to protest, she accepted the glass, gulping it down gratefully. She didn't want to think about the dream.

She did not want to see her mother being burned to death in front of her eyes.

Hazel tried to push the image away as best she could. But no matter how hard she tried to block it, it kept coming to the forefront of her mind. She took a deep, shaky breath before bursting into tears.

Məhv Edən stood quietly by her side as she cried, hugging herself.

She sobbed until her chest ached, until she had no more tears left to cry.

The howls of the Div and Nasnas were nothing, nothing compared to this pain!

She knew this memory would stay with her forever; her mother's last moments were burned into her mind.

She wished she could erase it all-the night of the battle, the night everything fell apart, the night she was taken captive...

They had used Inhibitors. The memory made her puke on the floor again.

Məhv Edən, standing in the shadows, quietly cleaned up the mess without a word. She avoided looking at him, crying into the darkness.

"Mother, oh mother..." she sobbed.

The sheer cruelty of it all. Millions and millions of people were killed-innocent children, women, and old men-because of one man's lust for power and control.

Kral Laquis had destroyed everything!!!

Had Məhv Edən been there on the battleground as well? Had he cast the Qara Alov on the helpless warriors, burning them to death? Her head jerked towards him, and she spat at him with contempt.

She did not feel scared of him at the moment, nor did she care if she angered him. For once, she was glad he could read her mind; she wanted him to feel all the anger, hatred, and disgust that she had for him. She wanted him to live it through her eyes!

She despised him!
She despised them all!
Evil monsters!

Məhv Edən read her thoughts, but stayed silent. He allowed her to express her anger and sadness at the injustice of it all.

They had killed her mom and taken the lives of countless others who could not defend themselves or fight back.

The devastation of Dragonite was absolute; Karl had made sure of that, leaving nothing to chance.

Was Boro gone too? Tears streamed down her face as she mourned for her people, her family... Everything was destroyed.

Her beloved Dragonite was reduced to ashes, and her home was razed to dust.

Kral was ruthless; she remembered the warnings when she had first arrived at the mansion over a month ago. Now, the reality of those warnings was beginning to sink in.