Part 2

(© Akailia Roper)

Quote for this chapter is:

'We sometimes encounter people, even perfect strangers, who begin to interest us at first sight. Somehow suddenly, all at once, before a word has been spoken.'

-Fyodor Dostoevsky

2.

'I'm sorry!' The pain was so bad, excruciatingly so. I had been in this cell like room for so long, I don't know how long because they'd moved me from the other room that I assume was a basement because I was dragged up some stairs.

I was apologizing for any and everything I had ever done, every lie I had knowingly told, every insult that I had ever mumbled under my breath at my parents. I was sorry.

At this point in time I would do anything for the pain to stop, for the beatings to end.

I was surrounded by six men who were at least four times my size with the mask of evil woven so tightly into their features that it would and should strike fear into any man, woman or child's heart.

I don't know why I was here. I wish I'd stayed home.

It had been a very long, boring and quiet twenty minutes since Wynter had fallen asleep with Vaughan's jacket clutched in her hands in a tight grip.

'The nearest hotel's quite a while from here, and in weather and traffic like this it'll take us hours to get there.' Xackery thought aloud. "How 'bout we take her to our place?" He asked his twin who was watching outside the window as people rushed on by trying to get out of the pelting rain.

"What? We're not kidnapping her!" Came Vaughan's shocked response.

"No! Of course not! I was simply saying, our place is closer than the hotel and it's pouring down out there, the thunder and lightning isn't going to stop right now and she's sleeping. When the storm eases over we'll take her home." Xackery explained to his brother. The sound of the rapid thudding of rain descending on the already drenched car top traps the now silent car as Vaughn thinks over their options.

"Fine." He relented. Xackery turned the car down a wide side street - that was coming up beside their vehicle- as he sets on the route to their house. "I guarantee you that when she becomes conscious she's going to freak out, especially if she wakes in an unknown bed." Vaughan warned.

"Well, you can be the one to explain what's happening." Teased Xackery as he made a right turn.

"Why? This is all your idea; I don't see why I have to be the bearer of bad news or the creepy kidnapper." Vaughan protested.

"Well she seems to be feisty, and you seem to be able to handle her. So, I shall leave you to deal with the possible blow up."

"But what if she misunderstands the gesture?" Before Vaughan could get an answer from his brother, they were stopped by the vibration from Wynter's Letterman. Wynter stirred in her slumber but didn't wake.

'Break even.' From the 'script' Blasted from her phone. She jolted awake and realized that her phone was ringing obnoxiously. She yawned quietly with her hand over her mouth as she checked the missed call on the device.

She tried very hard to ignore the feeling of being watched as she redialled the number that displayed itself across the screen. "Hello?" answered an exhausted voice that came from the other end of the phone.

"Why'd you phone me?" Wynter asked trying to keep her attitude in check.

"I wanted to tell you that we left the hospital a few hours ago." Came a calm reply.