Chapter 8

Harry looked between Severus and Salazar, waiting for one of them to speak and explain whatever Salazar had just said. Salazar's face was grim and Severus had stiffened next to Harry, only serving to make his anxiety worse. If Severus was responding in such a way, it couldn't be anything good. Hardly anything put the man on such edge.

"A living being cannot be a horcrux," Severus said eventually, his voice tight.

Harry frowned, confused at the comment.

"It is rare, but not impossible," Salazar told him.

When Severus paled uncharacteristically, Harry found he couldn't wait for the men to explain on their own. "What are you talking about? What the hell is a horcrux?"

Salazar sighed and looked at him. "A horcrux is the product of a branch of magic called Soul Magic. It is both White and Black Magic, called Grey Magic, dependent on what is done. In this case, it is closer to a branch of Black Magic," he explained. "A horcrux is a vessel infused with a piece of one's soul."

Harry felt something icy settle in his body as his heart began to race. "What...what does that mean?"

The glance Severus and Salazar sent each other before looking back at him decidedly did not make him feel any better.

"It is possible to split one's soul and place a piece into objects or, as Salazar has discovered, living things," Severus told him.

"I...I don't...I don't understand." Not exactly a truthful statement. Harry was sure he did understand, but he was also certain he didn't want to understand.

"The soul can be split. It is difficult and dangerous, but it has its benefits when done morally," Salazar explained. "It is a common belief that the act of murder is required to create a horcrux, but that is not so. In truth, only two spells, albeit complex spells, and a receptacle are needed. However, there is one other way to create a horcrux though this alternative is typically unintentional. This is what I believe has occurred."

"How so?" Severus asked while Harry fought to hear through the pounding of his heart echoing in his ears.

"You said this wizard tried to kill you with the Killing Curse, but it rebounded on him," Salazar clarified and Harry nodded jerkily. "Given the curse did not kill him, it is likely he had another horcrux prior to this event. As a result, the curse did the next thing it could; it forcibly tore his soul. When not removed and infused into an object with the proper spells, a soul fragment cannot survive independent of its source soul except in one situation: there is another living soul to attach to that is equivalent or greater in power."

Harry tried to hide his hitching chest as his breathing quickened, his spinning thoughts becoming dizzying. He swore his vision was beginning to tunnel as he stared at Salazar. He dropped his head into his hands as his head grew light and his vision blurred.

"It is my theory that, having this soul fragment within you for so many years, has created a Soul Bond. Do not fret. It is nothing so scandalous as a destined romantic entanglement," Salazar assured when Harry's eyes flew to him, wide and wild. "It simply means your souls' inherent magic has become accustomed to one another and compatible. This explains the pain you encounter upon his presence and touch. Once fractured, a soul cannot be restored, but the fragment wants to reunite. It tries to remove itself from you which strains your soul as it is similar to your own soul trying to split."

"It could rip my soul apart?" Harry whispered, unable to speak any louder in the face of the revelations.

"Without proper removal, yes," Salazar admitted and Harry's head dropped into his hands again.