Chapter 1

Jungwon POV

"To Jungwon! For getting the job he's worked so hard for!" My father raises his drink, grinning proudly.

"To Jungwon!" The rest of the family happily followed along.

I took a sip of my drink. This feels....nice. Like a send-off before someone dies. A good last memory.

I suddenly feel a strong pat on my back. "Good job, buddy. You've worked real hard for this. We're all proud of ya." My uncle grins. 

"Thank you." I give him a polite smile.

He leaves my side. I catch my cousin's playful gaze. She smiles, obviously finding the way our uncle acts funny. I mean, he is pretty goofy...

I'm about to say something to her but my aunt abruptly stumbles over to me. She's drunk...oh god.

"Oh, hey auntie. How are you?" I ask.

She puts her hand on my shoulder. "Kid..." She says in a tipsy voice.

"Uh, I'm 24, auntie." I interrupt her.

"No, you've barely aged a day, Jungyeon." The strong smell of alcohol fills my breathing space.

"Jungwon!" I correct her. Someone needs to keep the drinks away from her.

"Listen, Jungwan. Being a detective... It's gonna be hard. You die or you don't. If your person is angry because you got them in jail...oh well you die. But here's the trick to not dying." 

"Oh? And what might that be, Auntie?" I say, curiously. 

She leans into my ear and looks around to make sure no one else is listening. Then she whispers, "The secret to not dying is to not die." Then she leans away.

"Uh, wow. Thanks...auntie." I say awkwardly. She then smiles proudly, thinking she did something there, and walks away.  I smile and talk to the other family members. They all seem very happy about my success in getting the job I've been working to get for a long time: homicide detective. I'll miss this.

I tap my cousin on the shoulder.

"Hey, Y/n."

She looks up at me from her seat.

"Hey Jungwon. Congrats. You've wanted that job for a long time. You'll be like Poirot!" She smiles cheekily.

I laugh. "I guess so. Can we talk in private for a sec?"

She nods and I lead her to an empty room. I close the door behind us.

"So...what's up?" She asks. I can tell she's confused. 

In a serious tone I say, "Y/n, I need you to promise me something."

"What?"

"If I die, You need to take my job. No matter what. Please. It's my final request."

"Jungwon, is something wrong? Why're you talking like you're going to die soon?" Y/n's expression quickly shifts from confusion to concern.

"Just promise me! Please, Y/n!" I plead.

"Fine. I promise to take your job if you die. Not that would work but...Tell me what's going on!" She says, fed up.

I open my mouth to tell her but then our grandpa opens the door. We both look at him in surprise.

"Cake time." He then walks away.

"They're acting like it's your birthday." Y/n chuckles.

It may not be my birthday today but tomorrow surely is...

....my death day.

(A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of I Regret This!! It's short ik but the second one will come very quickly. Hopefully, it's not too cringy or anything. I'm trying to get better at writing. I plotted this book out a lot better than the others so who knows, it might turn out better???)