beneath the sixth chime

thomas and eveline burst through the doors of the garrison, their arrival commanding attention. with a guiding hand on eveline's back, thomas ushered her inside, with his expression serious and determined. grace, the sole occupant of the pub, moved to close the door behind them, but thomas halted her with a sharp order to keep it open.

grace then approached with a bottle of whiskey, offering it in a gesture of hospitality. however, thomas declined the offer, and he instructed grace to leave instead.

"are you expecting trouble?" the blonde barmaid inquired, her concern evident in her voice as she glanced between thomas and eveline. 

eveline watched the exchange with a sense of unease, waiting for thomas's response.

thomas then confirmed grace's question. grace then hesitated, reluctant to leave her post.

"who's going to close up the pub if i leave?" she asked.

eveline, drawing on her own experience as a barmaid, stepped forward with determination.

"i'll do it, grace," eveline asserted. 

thomas, meanwhile, began to manipulate the barrel of the gun in his hands, his expression grave. grace remained frozen in place, until eveline shot her a look.

sensing the urgency of the situation, grace nodded silently, shedding her apron and swiftly exiting the pub. eveline could tell that the barmaid did not want to leave. 

once grace's figure disappeared from view, eveline turned to thomas, her eyes filled with apprehension.

"are you going to tell me what the hell is going on?" she demanded. anxiety was clear in her voice.

thomas placed the gun on the bar, meeting eveline's gaze with a solemn expression.

"when the st. andrew's bell strikes at midnight, two ira men are going to come through that door," thomas revealed, his words sending a chill down the girls spine. 

as thomas retrieved another gun from behind the bar, he continued, "when they have what they want, they plan to kill me. it's your job to stop that from happening."

eveline's stomach churned with dread, a cold knot forming in the pit of her stomach. fear and uncertainty gripped her as she was confronted with the weight of the responsibility thrust upon her. 

first the kimber situation, then locking his own brother-in-law away, then this.

but despite her growing unease, eveline steeled herself, knowing that she had no choice but to confront the danger head-on.

eveline watched intently as thomas loaded the other gun.

"oi, a bit of a heads-up would've been nice."

"i just got the message myself. they want to meet me here alone."

"barmaids or secretaries don't count, then?"

"no, barmaids or secretaries don't count."

thomas's demeanor shifted into one of stern determination as he explained the plan to eveline. gone was the warmth and affection he usually showed her; instead, he regarded her as a trusted business partner, someone integral to the success of their operation.

with precise instructions, he pointed out where each person would be positioned and emphasized the importance of timing. when he outlined that her cue to act would be when he made a toast, it was clear that thomas meant business, and eveline understood the gravity of the situation they were facing.

"you don't shoot. you just point. i'll do the rest," said thomas.

eveline grabbed the gun, preparing for what was about to take place.