Chapter 5 - An Emerging Threat

Far to the west in the heights of the Broeding Mountain Range, a group of hooded figures gathered around a dimly lit cave. Candles hung suspended in the air; the space outlined in a slight ominous glow. At the head of a long stone table a figure emitting endless bloodlust rose from his chair to address those around him. The collective shuddered, preparing to endure what was to come next.

"Today we—"

"Shut the fuck up, Gary! Put some pants on!"

"But you said robes only."

"That doesn't mean without anything underneath. Now sit down! Don't make me regret allowing you to come back."

No one appreciated Gary's insight, and everyone relaxed when he took his seat.

"Tonight is our monthly meeting to see how our plans have progressed. This is a business people, and we need to ensure its success. Obynya, please start us off with a quick update regarding the international tensions we've been inflaming."

"Thank you, Chairwoman Abyzou. So far, everything on our end has been progressing as it should. Unfortunately, these humans keep pushing for peace no matter what we do to encourage otherwise, but one of our biggest hiccups was removed this month by one of our agents in Mertidoth. The Duke of Astiance was crushed last week, and the demilitarization bill was squashed by those we have in the parliament. That is all for this month."

"Chairwoman Abyzou, if I may," said a short woman with a purple robe and jet-black hair.

"Brilda, what is it you would like to contribute to the update?"

"It's not so much that I would like to add to the update, but I just want to pose a question," she paused, waiting for the chairwoman to nod her on before she continued, "If we need to eliminate the human population from the planet, why don't we just do that ourselves? Why have all these 'agents' around the planet manipulating these figures of 'power' into destroying each other when we don't need to?"

"Brilda, did you really just ask that question again?" responded an elderly gentleman sitting across from her wearing a shiny red robe with a brass ring chain.

The Chairwoman held up her hand stopping the two before they could engage in an argument. The Chairwoman took an exasperated breath before providing the reasoning she had said countless times before.

"Brilda, what is our goal? What are we doing all of this for?" said the Chairwoman as she rose from her seat and started to slowly stride closer to her lesser council member.

"Well, to restore our home. To recreate Malshaia."

"Exactly! And what is it we need to do that?"

"Enough Essence to recreate the source of Malshaia?"

"Yes, go on."

"... and the humans have drained this planet's source into themselves?"

"Yes," said the Chairwoman, placing her long bony fingers on Brilda's shoulder, "and...?"

Brilda shrugged, a response that angered her superior. "Brilda, why are you here if you don't even know what the most important part of our purpose is?"

The Chairwoman was flaring her Essence. It was a dark purply shadow that caused the air around her to feel chokingly dense. Brilda swallowed, feeling fear begin to bubble in her stomach.

"Listen carefully," said the Chairwoman in an ominous hiss, "do not forget this. Our goal, our mission, and our reason to continue on is to recreate Malshaia. Not only do these pests have no place in that picture, but they're preventing it from happening because—"