Walk With Me?

Getting up from bed every morning was an easy task, of course.

Especially on weekends.

Only thing was, his mother flouncing into his room told him otherwise.

"Kelsey!" she began, "I'VE LEFT YOU FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES! DO YOU NEED CONSTANT REMINDING TO WAKE UP? I swear, if you're late for school again—"

As he adjusted his crumpled orange T-shirt, his mind finally registered the words

"WHAT?!" Kel raised his hands to his head in astonishment, running his fingers messily through his hair - and NOT in the cool way that Hero would easily pull off. "I thought it was SATURDAY!"

In a mix of Spanish and English, his mom continued to scold some more, before sighing, a hand to her forehead as she finally turned back.

That left Kel to change into the clothes he'd wear at school today. Ugh, school. He'd forgotten about that.

Sure, getting ready for school wasn't much of a hustle. He rummaged through the closet, pushing aside this random shirt, this random pair of pants.....there!

All he needed was to just slap on his jersey and sports bra and maybe that other pair of shorts, then put all his stuff in his schoolbag. Hah, scratch that statement from earlier; only getting DRESSED for school wasn't much of a hustle.

Pushing some brown hair behind his ear, - gosh, he really needed to tie it back - Kel tilted his head to stare up at the clock in his(and technically Hero's too, but not right now) room. Of course, even if he wasn't such a slowpoke at packing his things, he'd still be late. He woke up around fifteen minutes past the "late" time for Faraway High. THAT was what his mom had meant by "fifteen minutes."

Despite already being late though, he wasted no time in tying his hair back with his favorite hair tie. If he remembered right, the first class should be....science, right? And currently, in the unit, they were learning about space.

Kel didn't think much about the nitty-gritty details of the subject - especially those essay answer assignments which would make him groan out of boredom. At least math was more straight forward than that, with only one answer. Sure, he wasn't EXCELLENT at it, but it was still reassuring. Until it came to square roots....

There! He looked down at everything in the bag, priding himself on packing up more quickly than usual. Guess thinking about space and math just now really helped distract himself and make the time fly.

On the table to his left, his mother had set down his breakfast for today; toast. Well there was also orange juice next to it....so he downed it then grabbed the toast.

With the toast between his teeth, Kel ran out of the house, then stopped in the sidewalk in front. He took a look to the house on the side.

No, Sunny was always usually early, and so was Mari. And Hero. Maybe Hero had tried to wake him up and failed, or thought he looked so sleepy already. He was so cheesy and goofy like that.

The toast between his teeth softened a little, and he bit onto it, swirling the piece of bread around his mouth. Hmm...pretty sweet to the taste. Two loud crunches later, and the delicious toast was completely in his mouth.

After he gulped down the toast with satisfaction, a small smile grew on his face, that slowly dimmed in radiance as he realized he couldn't walk to school with Sunny which was the usual thing they did together on school mornings, as they were, well, neighbors AND friends. Well, actually these walks consisted of Kel just catching up to Sunny and making seemingly one-sided conversation with him. Only Kel would understand the small smiles, and occasionally dismissive, deadpan remarks from his first ever friend.