Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"People queuing outside the bank doesn't bode at all well, does it?" said Emily to Blake, who stood drying himself off with the sleeves of his great coat.

Blake informed us he had stopped off to visit on his way back to the station house. The weather had turned after a surprisingly mild, late October day. It was growing late, Emily was knitting and I was engrossed in my reading of Ainsworth's life of the rogue and thief, Jack Sheppard.

"I'd have to agree. But I know so little of financial matters, Emily. It appears, however, that a substantial amount of money has gone missing from the bank. It looks like it shall go bankrupt. Nothing official yet, of course. No doubt the newspapers shall be on to it soon."

"First a banker disappears, then his money is missing! What an extraordinary thing to happen!" replied Emily.

"Add two more missing bankers to that list. Mr Makewell and Mr Conway seemed to have absconded. My governor reassures me that he's heard, through informal channels, they are quite well. Just very fearful of the mob; with some justification, too. They may begin to fear the police soon, if they do not return and offer some explanations as to why their bank cannot pay back its depositors."

"I'm glad my money's not inside that bank," said Emily. "For once, indeed, I'm glad I have so little: for the more you have, the more you are bound to lose."

"I'm not so sure things will correct themselves until Mr Templeton-Wells is found. Dead or alive. What is certain, is that people with money in his bank want out," said Blake. "Only problem is, the bank does not seem to have the gold to cover the money deposited. And they will not to be allowed to issue any more paper money, either. No one will dare accept the bank's money, now that they seem to have nothing to exchange for it."

I held my tongue for a while and listened. Then, as a silence grew between brother and sister, I looked up from my book, and saw the concern and anxiety upon Blake's face. "Putting money in a bank with a hole in the floor, is like pouring water through a sieve. No wonder people are eager to get their money back," I said.

"As insightful as you think you are, Maggie, that is not helpful," replied Blake.

"But she's right, Samuel. If you can't trust a bank, then what can you trust?" Emily said, surprisingly supportive of me.

I could see the case was taking its toll on Blake. The detective division was, back then, in it's infancy and all the men assigned to it were being pilloried for their incompetence by both politicians and the newspapers.

"What is certain is that there is great deal of worry and commotion at Scotland Yard. And when politicians and civil servants become involved, you know it's serious and what's more, that it requires drastic action."

"Perhaps if you spent more time investigating this missing gentleman, and less time around here, then you may have made more progress," said Emily. I was unsure if she was being spiteful or good-humoured, for as she spoke, a creased smile crept upon her face.

Blake, however, was in no doubt of her intentions and took it personally.

"I have spent every waking hour for the past fortnight on this case, Emily," Blake snapped. "I think we can conclude that the man is either dead or is being held somewhere against his will. But without a body, we can't quite quell the excitable mood the papers wish to provoke through such a case."

"Shall I make you a cup of tea, detective? You look as if you need refreshing." I asked, as I stood to leave the room. Emily said that she had had enough for one day.

Blake and I drank our tea and Emily soon set off for bed. I bid her goodnight and assured her that I would read for a little while longer. I think she suspected that once she had made her way upstairs, Blake and I would discuss his latest findings at greater length. Yesterday, she had passed me Blake's latest letter without comment. To my mind, this felt worse than had she reprimanded me for my contact with Blake.