Document Insert 11 - Newspaper Clipping From The Margaret Power Archive

Clipping From The Margaret Power Archive

From The Times Newspaper, November 24th1842

Mysterious Death at The Lion Hotel, Shrewsbury.

A most mysterious happening occurred last week in the town of Shrewsbury. At the famous The Lion Hotel, owners had to force open the door of one of its guest's room, after the occupant of the room failed to reappear the next day, long after he was due to have left the hotel.

    Accompanied by a stable boy from the hotel, the proprietor eventually decided to force the door, becoming suspicious when his repeated shouts and knocks returned unanswered. Once they succeeded in their task, they found a man inside, bound and injured, and in a most terrible state of being.

    The man, who we are to believe was in the employment of a wealthy London family, was found gagged, with both his legs and arms tied, on the floor inside the room. He was pronounced dead soon afterwards, once local MD John Waters examined him. He did not regain consciousness once his rescuers released him from his constraints. It is not known if he was killed by suffocation or through a drug administered to him; the good doctor, however, suspected the latter the most likely case.

    The roots to this strange misfortune began the previous evening, when a dashing young lady and her coachman arrived at the inn late on Friday November 18th. The unknown female was reported to have left the hotel alone next morning, on a coach bound for Birmingham, leaving behind both her carriage and her coachman.

    The carriage in which she arrived is still stationed at the inn, and it was reported yesterday that detectives from the Metropolitan Police arrived in the town to inspect the coach. What has attracted the attention of Scotland Yard, is, at yet, unknown. Detective Blake, the man in charge of leading the investigation, said that it was linked to an ongoing case in London. He also asked for local newspaper men to send their stories concerning this death to all national newspapers, and as many regional newspapers as was possible.

    Furthermore, Blake said that if any person was to come in contact with a woman going by the name of Emma Morelle or indeed Emma Strum, they must report their sighting to the nearest police without delay.

***

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. If you have enjoyed it, please remember to vote. Thanks! :-)