Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Somewhat ironically, I began to feel more at ease within my small, cold bedroom at Hill House than I had been at Emily's home. Gone was the anxiety of coming across a vindictive Charlie Deptford upon the London streets. And if Whitmore was out there, too, still eager to be avenged against the entire Power family, he would do well to find me out here, at this most remote of locations.

Thus I threw myself into my daily tasks and kept a keen eye trained on anything suspicious or noteworthy in the behaviour of my new master.

The drawback to my plan, however, was that I never actually got to see the master of the house. There were never any reasons or occasions when I had to deviate from the small orbit of my immediate work environment. Nor did the occasion arise when I had to remove myself from the servants' areas to the other parts of the house. I used only the servant's stairs, too; thus my chances of seeing the master or gaining access to his study – a place, I gathered, he occupied till late most evenings – were opportunities which would never present themselves.

 But Blake was indeed correct on one particular point: the lady of the house.

She was the most handsome woman I had ever seen. Her prettiness, thin waist and striking beauty all combined to suggest something else, something I was still unsuited – or inexperienced enough with life, perhaps – to put into words. What's more, she held herself in a manner which suggested she knew she possessed all of these qualities.

And something more besides.

During my first few days at Hill House, I would automatically stop whatever it was I was engaged upon, whenever she came into my line of vision, and steal a sly glance. She wore the most beautiful and eye-catching clothes, and although she never scolded the servants publicly or indeed raised her voice towards us, she would leave you with a secure sense that she was the superior being – and not just in this particular household.

"You must be the new girl," she said one morning when she came down to the kitchen to seek out cook.

I was alone and was scouring the kitchen floor. I quickly stood, bowed and answered, "Indeed I am, ma'am."

She held a more visible presence in the house than her husband, who left early by carriage most mornings and returned late in the afternoon. Or, if he didn't leave the house, I presumed he spent most of the day inside his study. Not once did I see him walking outside in the grounds.

"I've forgotten, what is it you are called?" she asked.

"Lizzie, ma'am."

"Ah, yes, I remember now. Very well, welcome to our home, Lizzie. I hope you shall be happy in your duties here and that you learn much from cook and the other kitchen staff."

"Thank you, ma'am," I replied.

"You came to us in most peculiar of circumstances, I understand?"

"Indeed I did, ma'am. My father's gone missing – where in the world he may be, we don't know for the life of us. We was struggling without his small contributions to our family, he and Ma was estranged you see. So, it was reckoned that I should seek out work, to help out like. Anyways, it was suggested that we should contact your husband, Mr Morelle, as he was a generous and charitable man towards my father..." I wished she would have interrupted me sooner, I did know how much longer I could rabbit on, like a silly, nervous little girl.

"Well, as generous as he may be, this is not a charity. You must work for your keep, like everyone else. You shall not be treated any differently." She then appeared distracted. "Tell me, is cook around? I need to speak to her personally about this evening's dinner?"