Chapter 2

I AM HENCEFORTH MICKEY'S SECRET BUDDY. Yes yes, I know what I said. Is it risky? Yes? Stupid? Yes. Why I changed my mind? I'll tell you.

   I was by his window before Mickey woke up that morning. I watched him sit on his bed reading that letter I wrote over and over again for around an hour. He kept switching between looking at the doll and back at the letter. "This is the best gift!" He cheered and hugged the doll to his chest his face booming with joy. Did those 3 words and one auxiliary verb said by a child change my mind? Yes. Yes, it did.

   So the next night I sneaked into his room and wrote him yet another letter. Hey. Love the ninja bag. I even drew a big smiley. He didn't see it when he woke up, however. So I waited for him to return from school. I sat on his bed and looked around. It wasn't pleasant sitting there alone considering the fact that this room once belonged to my parents. The same room I received multiple whips from them. I shivered at the memory.

   I heard murmuring outside so I crept out to see what was the commotion about. I saw Mickey standing by the door and crying. His shirt was all muddy and scruffy. I walked closer still behind his parents to examine him. His parents kept asking him what happened but he didn't answer them. Snort rolled down his nose as he cried. There was dirt even on his cheeks. "Deny I said bring the first aid." That's when I noticed it. His right knee was bleeding. I clenched my fist as my nose flared up.

   "Mickey was playing Ring Around the Rosy with three girls. And some big kids bullied him," his sister said popping up from behind.

    "What are their names? I'm calling his teacher right now!" The mum exclaimed and stood up.

   "Rahul and Mohan. Mum if you complain and get them in trouble they would hate on him more. That is what they did to another boy. They pushed Karan and got yelled at by Miss Sujatha. They blamed him the next day and took away his lunch."

   "Well, something needs to be done. I'm going to talk to their parents-"

   "But mum if Mickey can just be like the other boys this won't happen. Why is he playing with girls not, boys!?" His sister complained. His own sister! It took everything in me to not march forward and slap her.

   "Cara shut up. He is only ten let him do what he wants. Bullying is wrong and you shouldn't support it."

   "But I'm not-"

   "Go to your room. I had enough," the mum commanded and Cara stomped off.

   I watched as his dad carried him and sang his favourite song. His mother told him everything will be okay. They bandaged his knee and changed his clothes. The three sat on the floor. His mum fed him while his dad played with him. I watched all this from afar. I just stood there helplessly.

   This wasn't the first time Mickey got bullied. Many nights I've seen him complain to his best friend who is a teddy bear named Pooh. He never really told his parents before. But it has never gotten so physical before. How I wished I could have done something. If only I was attending that school I would have made them pay. If I was his sister I would have been kicking arses. But she was too selfish to care about Mickey.

   I realised if I can't protect him in person, the midget is going to need to learn to protect himself. So in the night I sneaked into his room like always and took his water gun. Creeeeek I almost got a heart attack by the sound of the door. I turned back to check and luckily Mickey didn't hear me. I rushed into the bathroom and filled some water in the barrel. Next, I went to the kitchen and grabbed some pepper powder. Maybe I should have gone with paint but eh. I sprinkled it in the barrel and then twisted it to the gun. I shook the gun letting the powder mix well.  

    Pat. Pat. Footsteps. I swiftly ducked under the kitchen counter. I saw Cara walking to the fridge and taking a bottle of water. Her eyes were barely even open. I smirked as I thought of a plan. Time for payback. I aimed the gun at my opponent and kept my eyes on the target. Time for battle. The water splattered right on her back. The bottle from her hand fell to the floor making a loud noise. Without looking back, the little girl ran for her life. "MUM!!!!!!!!" I held my stomach and burst into laughter.

   The lights in her parents' bedroom came on as Cara screamed. I took the chance to escape from my hiding place and go back to Mickey's room.

   "How many times have I told you to put on the light? Look at the mess you caused!"

   I closed the door behind me and walked up to Mickey. I sat down in front of him and grabbed his bag. I tore a paper from his book and wrote him another note: Sorry about yesterday. Use this gun the next time they attack you. Please be brave. I ended the note with a slopishish drawing of a gun. What if he hits them in the eye? Part of me thought it was a good idea. But my conscious pricked. Not for them but for Mickey. So I continued: P.S. Do not aim for their eye. I placed the note and the gun in the backmost pocket of his bag so that his mum wouldn't find it. Hopefully

   The next day I stood by his window as I heard him tell Pooh all about his day. "She gave me this Pooh." Yeah according to the midget, I'm a girl... "It looks a lot like the gun I had. Ah Pooh I wish I could see her. Do you think she saw what happened today? I scared them off, Pooh. They pushed me down and I shot 'ahul with the water. Right in his eyes Pooh!" Ouch "He started crying and ran away. All the girls thought it was awesome. Layla even kissed my cheeks." He looked at the letter. "I think it's Layla who wrote this." I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

   As usual, I waited till the night to slip him another note but little did I know I had a surprise waiting for me.