Chapter 1

=A m b e r=

A car honked, and I instantly knew it was Destiny and Peyton. They would always pick me up for any special hangout we would have. Of course, Peyton would alway drive, because she was the most sensible one.

My phone buzzed, and I read,

Hey, we're outside!

Okay

I looked in the mirror for one last time. I brushed through my straightened chocolate brown hair, admiring the light edges of them. I looked at my blue Arkansas t-shirt with my skinny blue jeans, nodding before running out with my wallet and my phone.

*

"Ready?" Destiny asked, adjusting her big glasses.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I shrugged, grinning at my friends. "Peyton, how's your boyfriend?"

Peyton playfully scowled at me. She didn't start driving yet, because she would be in a wreck my now.

"You mean the one you attempted to set me up with? He's doing good, because he's away from me." Peyton responded shaking her brown hair. I stifled a laugh and shared a glance with Destiny.

"Okay, let's go! Wait -- where are we going?" I asked, tilting my head.

Destiny smiled, turning to look at me (she was in the passenger seat). "It's a surprise. Happy eighteenth birthday, by the way."

My eyes widened. I completely forgot about my birthday.

"T-thanks." I stammered, leaning back in my seat.

*

"We're at... a track?" I asked, looking around a small park with a large running track surrounding it. "Perfect!"

Peyton rolled her eyes. "No, this is where we first met!"

I furrowed my eyebrows, then released. "Oh..."

Destiny playfully slapped my arm. "Hey -- want to run around the track? I'll watch you and Peyton. I'm not much of a runner."

I looked at Destiny. "Are you sure?"

Destiny nodded. "Positive. Actually, I want to see you two race!"

Peyton and I gave each other competitive glances.

"I'm so gonna beat you!" I confirmed, smirking.

"Sure you are..." Peyton rolled her eyes. "Lucky for you, you wore jeans!"

I looked at my skinny jeans and groaned. "Dang it!"

"Alright, already!" Destiny gasped. "Three, two, one go! First one to three laps wins!"

I ran with the slowest speed ever, causing Peyton to go full on ahead. I smirked. Starting slow was the key.

After I picked up speed and finished two laps, I was neck - and -neck with Peyton. I shifted my gaze toward the green park bench where Destiny sat. A boy -- about our age -- stood behind her, and Destiny seemed to be oblivious.

I slowed down, furrowing my eyebrows. The boy had blonde-ish hair and had a tall figure. He wore all black, with his sleeves rolled up nicely.

But the thing that caught my eyes were big, feathery, black wings.

The boy's gaze was fixed on me.

I gasped, stopping completely.

The boy had disappeared.