Awkward

SUMMARY:
Y/N hears something she isn't supposed to hear. Things get unintentionally awkward until Spencer says something.

——————————

Y/N and Spencer were sharing a room for a few nights. The team were in Dallas, Texas, for a case and the team arrived at 11:55 PM, intending to get a good nights rest before being up at the crack of dawn to start work.

Spencer headed up to the room first, after hearing Hotch ask Y/N a few questions. He unlocked the door, entering the semi-large room. He noticed the one bed and groaned, not feeling entirely comfortable sharing a bed with a woman, but he had no choice, and it'd only be for a few days.

Chucking his go bag on the left side of the bed, he laid on top of the comforter, letting out a deep exhale. 2 minutes later, he watched as the hotel room door opened, revealing Y/N, who looked just as tired.

"Time to sleep." Y/N nodded, going to the bathroom to get changed. Minutes later, she was in bed, adjusting the pillow so she could be comfortable. Spencer followed suit, changing into a pair of plaid pajama pants before getting into bed, trying to ignore the fact that there was a women sleeping right next to him.

It didn't help that - for a while now - he had a crush on Y/N. Something about her 'no bullshit' attitude made him like her. He admired how Y/N didn't let Derek's comments annoy her. She simply ignored his comments until he took the hint and stopped. It was often Y/N who offered to help separate his work load. Even though he could read fast enough, Y/N knew that he often exhausted himself without meaning to, so she'd take at least half the files off his desk to help him.

———

Y/N and Spencer agreed on a time to wake up - 6:30 AM. If the team needed to start earlier, than so be it. But, unfortunately for Y/N, her body clock told her otherwise. Instead of being up at 6:30, or up when the team were needed, Y/N woke up at 4:15 AM. She had slept 4 hours and 15 minutes before her body told her to wake up. Now, working in the BAU meant that the team was up at all hours, day or night, so it wasn't far fetched for Y/N to be up this early.

Knowing she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep, Y/N got up and got changed into some comfortable clothes, grabbed her phone and her key-card, before leaving the room and the hotel itself to go for a run. There wasn't a better way to fully wake up her body than to run until she was almost out of breath.

Returning to the hotel 45 minutes later, Y/N made her way up to the hotel room, ready for a nice warm shower and a clean set of clothes.

Unlocking the room with her key-card, Y/N stopped when she heard noises coming from the far side of the room. First it was soft whimpers, then slightly louder moaning. Her cheeks turned bright red at the thought of Spencer having a sex dream about someone. The moaning continued, but this time words actually left his mouth, and those words would soon make Y/N wish she had come back minutes later than she did.

"Mhm- Fuck. Y- Yes! R- Right there, Y/N! Fuck, just like that." He groaned, saying her name. Y/N's eyes widened. It was awkward enough that she had accidentally entered the hotel room while her co-worker was enduring a sex dream, but to hear her own name being moaned out while she stood in the same room, Y/N was past the point of her cheeks turning red, and right to the point of trying not to alert Spencer to her presence.

Y/N held her mouth shut, covering it with her hand when she saw the comforter move slightly toward the middle of the bed. Spencer was tall enough that his waist rested in the middle of the bed.

He's...pleasuring himself to the thought of me. Y/N was now struggling to keep quiet. His sex dream - which she assumed was also about her - had turned into Spencer pleasuring himself, whether he was awake or not.

If she spent one more minute trying to keep calm, Y/N was going to do something that would alert Spencer to her presence, and make the whole situation more awkward than it already was.

Y/N exited the hotel room and quietly shut the door, her heart racing. Resting her back against the door, she didn't notice Emily exiting the hotel room she was sharing with JJ.

"You couldn't sleep too?" Emily asked, curious.

Y/N stayed silent, trying to calm her racing heart.

"Y/N?" Emily called her name again.

"I- I gotta go." Y/N exhaled, making a beeline for the elevator. Emily watched the woman, curious as to why Y/N was so quiet. Emily walked over to Y/N and Spencer's hotel room, quickly placing her ear against the door. She only heard a few moments worth of moaning and groaning before she pulled away, realising why Y/N left so quickly.

For the rest of the case, Y/N only spoke to Spencer about work. The moment they entered the hotel room, Y/N went straight to bed and didn't say a word. She wasn't necessarily ignoring Spencer, she was merely distancing herself from him so she wouldn't get flustered and say the wrong thing (resulting in accidentally outing the fact she heard him pleasuring himself to the thought of her).

Spencer noticed Y/N's sudden change in behaviour. He noticed how quiet she had become around him. He furrowed his eyebrows when he saw how quick she was to get away from him whenever Hotch gave her a task. He hated this. He hated knowing that he did something wrong to upset his best friend. If he wanted to go back to their normal banter and unique conversations, he needed to find out what he did and apologise as soon as possible.

The case was finished, everyone had packed up and were ready to go home. The only members of the team who had yet to board the jet were Spencer and Y/N. Right before Y/N could make her way up the steps to the jet, Spencer gently grabbed her hand, stopping her.

"Spencer, we've gotta go. The team's waiting." Y/N tried to pull away, but Spencer's grip got tighter.

"You're upset with me, or worse, angry at me. I want to know why." Spencer told.

"Not right now, Spencer. Please, can this wait until we get back?" Y/N exhaled.

"Just tell me what I did and I'll drop this." Spencer insisted.

"I heard...and saw you." Y/N's face went red as she spoke, confusing Spencer.

"I don't understand...?" Spencer furrowed his eyebrows.

"On our first night here, I woke up at 4:15 AM and went for a run. When I got back...I saw...and heard you." She continued to explain, watching as Spencer slowly realised what she was saying.

"Oh...oh! I'm so sorry, Y/N! I didn't mean for you to...shit." Spencer covered his mouth in shock.

"Emily saw me leaving the room and I couldn't say anything, so I left. For the past few days, I haven't spoken to you because I didn't want you to know that I heard...and saw, but also because I was too embarrassed to admit that your romantic feelings toward me aren't one-sided." Y/N watched as Spencer's face turned from embarrassment to a small grin.

"I- I often have dreams about you, and that's only the beginning of my feelings, but that's a conversation to be continued when we get back." Y/N whispered in Spencer's ear before making her way up the steps. She sat next to JJ, across from Emily and Derek, while Spencer opted to sit on the couch. You sent a small smile his way, hoping no one else would see it. He smiled back before engrossing himself in the book that was in his messenger bag.

Emily: You and Spencer must have had a heart-felt chat? Did you two talk about that night?

Y/N: How'd you know? You saw me, but I never said anything.

Emily: I'm a profiler, it's my job to deduce things like that.

Y/N: You stuck your ear to the door and listened, didn't you?

Emily: Yes...but only for a few moments, I promise! Reid's business behind closed doors is his own.

Y/N: No one can know, at least...not until Spencer and I have figured out what's happening.

Emily: Yours and Reid's secret is safe with me.

Y/N: We don't have a secret...yet.

Y/N chuckled at Emily's message, watching as Derek tried - and failed - to read Emily's messages.