Walk On, My Love

Inspired by Siuil a Ruin by Clannad

Cool green leaves brush my ankles as I walk through the soft grass. The wind whispers gently to me as it billows through the field carrying fluttering butterflies along its way. White clouds were contrasted against the cerulean sky as if Rembrandt himself swished his paintbrush across the heavens. The sun radiated its golden rays throughout the land, piercing the clouds like daggers and searing my pale skin. As the sun cast shadows on my face, tears rolled down my cheeks. "I can't live this life any longer," I cried as I collapsed into the tall grass.

This field, these smells, the colours that once filled my heart with joy now turn pale with longing for the past. My mind sank into a deep melancholy as I remembered the day we first met. I was walking in this very field when I tripped over what I thought was a rock. I was grunting and clutching my ankle when a kind and gentle voice said, "Are you hurt?" I looked up and saw the most beautiful blue eyes that twinkled like sapphires and almost forgot that I hurt my ankle at all. I cleared my throat and tried to stand as gracefully as I could. Batting my eyelids, I giggled, "I'm totally fine, just wanted to have a closer look at the grass. Wow, your eyes remind me of the sky. I'm Siobhan. It's nice to meet you, blue-eyed random boy... Who looks awfully like my future boyfriend," I muttered to myself. "Hmm, I'm not sure about that ankle, looks like it's swelling up to me. Sorry about that, I'm Aiden. Didn't think anyone else would be wandering around in this field and I would end up as a trip hazard." "Well Aiden, because of you my ankle is very sore right now. So, could you be a dear and help me home." "Sure, I could at least do that for the trouble I've caused," he reached under me and picked me up in his arms like a baby. "Hey! Not like that. Your hand is under my skirt. That's only reserved for the third date. For now, put me down at once," I winked. "I'm sorry, that did not go like how I imagined," he stammered. "Yeah not like Prince Charming at all, but don't worry we can work on that. Now, how about you grab my waist and help me along. We don't have all day," as I pulled his hand to my waist and slipped my arms around his.

It was a hot-blooded, passionate kind of love. We could not keep our hands off each other until finally, we made love for the first time in this field on a warm sunny day, a day much like this one. I can remember his kisses on my lips, hands on my waist. His eyes were filled with ecstasy and passion. My hair was embellished with grass as he lay on top of me, his legs entangled with mine.

He promised me that he'd stay and we would get married and I would be his bride. My parents and his go back a long time. They gave us their blessing.

I haven't seen you since you left for France... I sold everything, my spinning wheel, my dresses, and cows, now there is nothing left.

I've got a knife tucked under my skirt. I pulled it out. I pointed it to my chest. I thought this would be easier. As I bring the knife closer to my chest, I know what I'm doing. You can't stop me, as I bring the knife up, I pierce it through my chest and into my heart.

I can hear footsteps coming from the moor. I tensed, I can't kill myself, I'd become a ghost.

You promised you would be here with me... Now you're too late...

"Why are you here? I thought you were in France? I missed you Aiden so much, I love you." I stammered.

A man comes up and scoops me into his arms. My voice begins to fade. He cries; "I prefer you alive. Stay with me. Don't leave me, Siobhan."

I can't go on.

"No! Stay with me, damnit!"

The last time I see him is as my body goes limp. His shirt is bloodstained, his gaze is downcast, tears in his eyes. He leaned down and kissed me.

I can't be with him anymore. All I can do is stare at him until he closes my eyes.

The end.