The Confession

Inspired by Fill, Fill a Run o performed by Mary McLaughlin and William Coulter

I sat in the confession box, confessing my sins.

"Is it not a sin to be in love with a priest? I've been in love with you father since before you became a minister. You spent the summer in my arms and then when the snow began to fall you took your orders. I couldn't bear to see you reciting from that horrid book that you had hated so much. You preferred to study my body rather than that book. What made you change? Was it my family? Was it me? Is it because I had a silver spoon in my mouth and you becoming a priest made up for the fact that I was going to be engaged and married off despite my hesitations? Please say something father. I'm pregnant with your child. God forbid my future husband and his parents find out. Damn you being a priest. I still love you father. Please say something. What should I do? I'm pregnant with your child."

I walk out of the confession booth. I see him kneeling in front of the altar.

He heard me. I walk up to him. His blue eyes glance up at me from beneath his fiery red hair. Oh God, what have I done?

"You are pregnant with my child. And you haven't told your parents yet? Are you still going to get engaged?"

"Most likely," I whisper as I kneel with him.

He leans forward and hugs me. I hug him back in a way that feels more intimate than if we had been standing in the aisle.

"I couldn't have you. Your parents didn't accept me so I just got my orders. I never wanted to do it but it was the only way I could still see you without holding you in my arms like before I joined the priesthood. I'm just a man, not a follower of God." He cupped my face and gently kissed me and I melted into his arms as if only the angels could see us but we knew only devils hovered nearby.

"Damn the book. Well you don't need to believe in God, believe in me and I will confess to you, forever and always."

"But, you're engaged."

"Doesn't matter. I will still love you."

"I love you too."

The creak of a seat in the pews jolts us from our secret world.

"I think I need to go."

"Wait," he kisses my forehead.

I walk out but before shutting the doors I look back at him and smile at him and he smiles at me. Then I shut the door.

The end.