Toothy's Secret (ConeTooth)

Synopsis: Coney learns about a secret Toothy had been hiding for a while.

~*x*X*x*X*x*X*x*~

Toothy was getting ready for the day, following his usual morning routine, but unlike any other day where it would go without any long stop, this day, just as he was about to put on a blue shirt with a tooth print, he stopped. Something suddenly lingered in his mind.

Still holding the shirt, Toothy walked to the mirror hanging in his room and just...looked at his reflection. It was him, no doubt. Short and scrawny with blue eyes and white middle part hair. But there was another detail, one that he hid from everyone.

On his chest, there were scar lines, one on each side, which he got from a top surgery. Slowly, he placed his hand on his scars and let out a heavy sigh. He hadn't told anyone, not even Coney, about it, and he was afraid to do so, mainly because he was afraid of how the others would react.

His train of thoughts stopped when he heard a knock on the door, followed by a voice, which he recognized all too well.

"Toothy? You in there?"

The white haired boy glanced at the door and sweated nervously. "Coney?" He managed to utter.

"Yes, that's me." Coney giggled on the other side. "Are you okay?" She asked.

That's when Toothy started to panic. If he let her in, she'd see his scars, and she never saw him shirtless. Not even when they were at a beach with Paper Airplane and Fly Swat, where he wore a fully closed jacket along with swim trunks. "I-I-I'm good...thanks for...asking..." He lied, inwardly cringing from how he sounded just now.

And of course, Coney could see through his dumb lie. "You don't sound okay. I'm going in." She said bluntly, and turned the doorknob.

"Coney, wait-!"

Then the door opened, and immediately, Toothy hid his chest with the shirt he still held. "Don't look at me!" He screamed, his eyes closed shut.

Coney looked at him, confused. Then, she noticed that he was shirtless, had his arms folded over his chest, hiding it, and his face expressed distress. She frowned, worried about him.

 "Toothy...what's wrong?" She asked.

"Leave..." Toothy begged, tearing up. "I-I...I don't want you to...see them..."

"See what?" Coney asked. No way was she going to leave the boy she loved in this state.

Toothy didn't budge, and so Coney decided to take things in her own hands. Putting her hands on his shoulders, she sat him down on his bed before she sat down herself. "Toothy, what's wrong? You know you can tell me anything." She asked in a reassuring tone. Normally, she was silly and dimwitted, but this time, she was genuinely concerned.

Blushing slightly, Toothy let out a sigh and looked up at Coney. "Promise not to laugh at me?" He asked, the girl in front of him nodding in response.

The white haired boy sighed again. He was going to reveal his secret now. Slowly, he hesitantly lowered his arms, uncovering his scars for her to see. He closed his eyes, afraid to look at her and see how she'd react.

"Wow..."

Confused, Toothy opened one of his eyes and saw that Coney was looking down at his chest in awe, hovering her hand over his scars. "How'd you get them?" She asked.

"Surgery..." He hesitantly replied.

"You had surgery?" Coney asked.

Toothy gulped, turning his head to look at the girl with both of his eyes. Perhaps he could tell her.

"Well...you see..." He started. This felt like a heavy subject to him, but he was going to do it, anyway. "I wasn't always a boy in my life..." He eventually said, unsure.

"Is that possible?" Coney tilted her head. Her dimwitted self returned, Toothy thought to himself with a small smile.

Toothy sighed. "I'm trans, Coney." He said, getting straight to the point. "I was born a girl, then later in life transitioned into a boy, which includes getting surgery." He pointed at his scars. "I got a top surgery years ago, and I'm planning to get a bottom surgery soon."

Coney widened her eyes, blushing. "You don't have a-"

"Shush! That's not important right now!" Toothy quickly shut her up, flustered. After a moment of awkward silence, he removed his hand from her mouth and sighed. "Coney, I never told anyone about this, and you're the first." He said.

"Really? Why not?" Coney asked.

"Because..." The white haired boy gulped. "I'm scared of...what others will think." He started shaking, folding his arms. "I really hope you won't think of me differently..." He whimpered.

Coney stayed quiet, everything Toothy said sunk in her head. She thought of what he told her, but her opinion on him didn't change. Smiling, she leaned in and kissed the boy on his forehead, surprising him.

"Trans or not, you're still you, Toothy." She smiled. "And that's what matters. To me, at least."

Toothy could feel his cheeks heating up and his eyes getting watery again. Normally, he'd be stubborn about it, because "men don't cry", but being with Coney made him feel safer, feel like he could be vulnerable. A small grin appeared on his face as he pulled her into a tight embrace. "Thanks, Coney..." He said. "I love you..."

Coney giggled. "I love you too, Toothy."

They stayed like this for a while, hugging in silence. Toothy was relieved, having told someone about his secret, and that someone being right beside him. Meanwhile Coney was just happy to be with the boy in her arms, certain that a hug and words of reassurance was all he needed.