VI

The forests around the old Kalradij fortress were empty at the time, and at the same time full of people. Riders whose names almost everyone knew. Companions of Tiberius himself who were riding. Knights, Huscarls, Archers and Nobles. Or at least that's what he claimed about himself. Rolf drove past the nearby fireplace, where Baheštur was sitting by the fire. He looked at him and noticed that Deshavi was sitting next to him. Rolf didn't exactly need her at first glance, because Dešavi is a terrible cynic, while he was incredibly formal, but deep down he knew he would save her, and the same with her. She was also quite handsome, but the fact is that she is a very demanding person. The whole party stuck together and covered each other. That was the big rule their master insisted on. And when they came here, all one hundred and forty warriors, a personal retinue.

"Gentlemen, we have gathered because of our commander's order. The order is clear: Capture the border fortress of Hafluk, and hold it until reinforcements arrive". The man reading had a stout build, but already a little gray hair. "Jeremius, please cut it short!" shouted one Vaegir knight. The audience burst out laughing,, You bastard!" Said the laughing man.,, Well then. My dear friends, the master is asking us to liquidate the Khergit garrison, our army will mark this skirmish as their provocation, and so we will intervene against Khan and his son of a bitch." Jeremius paused quickly.,, Baheshtur, I beg you, for a minute." Baheshtur thought about what the old adjutant Tiberius might want from him. He got up and followed him.,, Tiberius is giving you something. ",, Yes?",, King he's been acting weird lately. He looks like he's worried about something. He says he thinks it'll be good if you're with me at the event." Baheštur wondered what led him to this.,, Didn't you step on his chicken eye recently?",, No, not at all. ",, Well, I can think of only one possibility. According to me," He paused and looked at Baheštur,, according to me, he thinks that you are cheating on him with a woman. Or that you like him, but nothing has happened. After all, they have been together for a year, and still nothing has happened."

"No, don't worry, it's not dangerous, everything is fine. ",, Well, if you think.." Jeremius meant it. He had to start paying attention.,, One more thing, and I believe you were telling me the truth, but there could be something going on from the princess's side, after this I would believe it." I handed over the paper. Baheštur took it and put it in his jacket.,, I understand . ",, So and now to the plan. I want you to lead the riding. I'll make an infantry charge through the defenses, and pass into the keep. Clearly? ",, You deserve it." Jeremius said goodbye to him with a nod. The young Khergita was lonely. He opened the writing and decided to read it. He sighed. On the very first line, there was a mistake in addressing him in his native language. How many times had he told the princess, but she seemed to be doing it on purpose.

"Bey al-tu Ch'mudin"
"I am writing to you, my friend, because I heard that you are in the steppe. I would like to write to you that you should take care of yourself, because Wiglaf is not there with you to take care of you. He's looking over my shoulder right now, I'm going to tell you that he'll flay you if you screw it up. As your queen, I command you to return. I still have enough tasks for you.
Goodbye. "

Honestly, Khergita was surprised by the brevity of the message. He got up and looked into the distance, in the distance could be seen the fortress where he was supposed to attack. Gods, this is going to be a tough fight....

He adjusted his gear and climbed into a barrel of water mixed with charcoal and black dye. "They won't see us like this, none of them." Jarema said and climbed out of the barrel himself. This was repeated by every member of the party, until finally they all looked the same.

No one could be seen or heard in the darkness. The Khergit guard looked at his friend. "I think I'll go to sleep." His friend looked at him. "I wouldn't do that, you know our commander goes on tours of the castle, right?" But he didn't get an answer. So he went to see what was going on and peeked out of the guardhouse. "If you went sp-" Dál didn't say anything else because the blade of the dagger went through his throat.