An understudy

As the late King Reginvalt's death replayed in a safe bubble in King Alasdair's study, Valerie and Einar made their way back to Mecrisdale. On their way, she quickly recited the entire scene that had played between Reginvalt and Sepher—word for word, describing in exacting detail the movement of each muscle.

"I'm...not following," Einar said timidly, "Reginvalt is dead."

Valerie sighed. "By Sepher, because he was starting to discover Navitusia's history." The two were now standing before the brothers' workshop. Both had access, as if everything were still normal. "We know the story now, but I want to see what he was looking at before Sepher invited himself."

Inside, the workshop looked empty. No trace of any work being in progress remained. Valerie crossed her arms, observing the lack of a scene; Einar closed his eyes for a moment and then brought up all of Reginvalt's screens with the wave of a hand. The scene had already been replayed thousands of times, but Einar replayed it once again for himself and Valerie to see.

"...so Sepher Andilet was the reason," Valerie noted.

"The reason your mother turned out to be..." As almost always, he hesitated in his choice of words. "...the way she was."

She shook her head. "A sweep of that scale—replay it again, Einar, thanks—would have thrown more than just one person away. I'm guessing my mother's brother simply met something more interesting than whatever he was supposed to be doing in Mecrisdale and chose not to go back. It was a one-off sweep; anyone else would have gone back home if they could."

"But you said he was the reason—"

"The reason that my asshole uncle had the opportunity to show his nature. A single person is never that powerful. A single person is never the sole agent of change for anything."

"Well, I think there is a single person in this world, at this moment, who can. Though of course not any single person." He stole a glance, one that went unreciprocated.

Once finished with their investigation of the workshop's state, Einar stayed behind to handle—and to find—the rest of Reginvalt's unfinished work. Valerie left him to it, herself heading to a nostalgic place.

☆☆☆

Long, long ago in the fairy kingdom of Mecrisdale, two individuals met in the throne room. No appointment had been made beforehand; they simply knew to meet there. By the time he arrived, Valerie was already there, playing a solemn requiem on the piano.

"Reginvalt" made his way to her. When he was close enough to put a hand on the grand piano, she looked up and mirrored his calm expression, all the while continuing the song until its conclusion.

Then, he smiled, nodding just once. She stood up. He stepped back a little, giving her just enough space to walk away from the piano.

"I don't believe we've met," he said in a quiet voice.

"That's a relief," she said in response, "But I assume you know me well."

"I do, provided that you are the real deal. As a counterfeit myself, I hope it's not outrageous that I remain vigilant, especially in a world as dominated by illusions and disillusions as this one." The man held out a hand in invitation. "May I?"

"Sure."

As he reached out, she took his hand. Without a beat, without a melody, they danced around the throne room, their steps in perfect synchrony as if everything they had ever done led up to this moment. When they decided it was enough, they stopped at the same time, standing only a breath apart.