Chp 19 : Follow up

Adam

I have neglected to contact my firm back home to explain my continued presence here, despite the fact that it has been three months since my arrival. To this day, they still haven't contacted me to clarify the holdup.

Perhaps it is due to the fact that they have been referring cases to me here. They should have contacted me to confirm my return time nevertheless. I should get in touch with my paralegal and have her set up a phone conference with the partners. I want them to know that I plan to stay a bit longer than expected.

While waiting for the call to go through to Alice, my paralegal, I grab the phone and head to the kitchen, where I pour myself a bowl of cereal from the upper shelf. I can still hear her voice on the other end of the phone as I stir my cereal with milk.

Alice : Hello, Mr. McLean. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Me: Hello Alice. Good morning, and how are you?

Alice: Morning, sir, and I am good. I believe you are too.

Me: Yes, I am fine. I will like you to arrange a conference call with the other partners of the firm. I want them to know from me that I will be staying here a bit longer. Can you get that sorted out for me, please?

Alice: Of course, sir. I will get it done right away. I will call you when they are ready for you, sir.

Me: Alright, Alice. I will be waiting for your call. Thank you very much. You really are God-sent you know that, right?

Alice: Of course, sir. Goodbye and have a good day, sir. She then ends the call.

Perfect. Now I can eat my breakfast and later find something to occupy my time as I await the conference call.

"Benjamin," you have finally made up your mind to come join us. Fill me in on how you've been doing. How long has it been since we last saw each other? Matthew asks Ben this as he goes up to his two companions.

So far, so good. Your wife? How is she doing?

Generally speaking, she has done well. Many people have been dropping over to see her recently. Her father and Miss Dickson were also here to pay her a visit.

Have I understood you correctly? Do you mean that Shelly came to see your wife? for what purpose? To my knowledge, they are not acquainted.

Even though they have never met, Miss Dickson thought it was fitting to offer her support because Miriam is my wife and I'm friends with you and Blackson. I'm grateful, of course, and it has helped my wife really relax.

"Given that, how is that possible?"

Whatever the case may be, it seems like those two have been quite chatty recently. This place was starting to get to Miriam. The complexities of bringing corpses in and out have clearly been a source of great distress for her, but ever since Shelly paid her a visit, they have been in continual conversation. She has been bringing her books to read for the past few days, and that has helped her a lot, whether it's about literature or anything else.

Can you believe it? Now I'm beginning to see why you're captivated by her. To everyone around her, she seems to exude an irresistible charm. Her character is growing on me.

Ben arched an eyebrow as he repeated, "Her character is growing on you, you say."

Guys, I think you get what I was trying to say. By the way, how is your relationship with her going?

It's fine.

"Oh, really?" Blackson was the one who had to ask the question this time.

Turning to his two companions, he remarked. She recently invited me to lunch after I guilted her into it. I apologise for what I did; I know it was wrong, but given the circumstances, it was my only option for getting her to stop being mean to me.