Chp 25 : A Surprise visit.

-Shelley-

My schedule has been jam-packed and demanding for the past two weeks, and Dr. Blackson's persistent prodding has done little to alleviate the situation. He has been acting anxious recently. It has me wondering what's going on.

On top of that, I have not heard from Ben in two weeks. I know that I should be happy; after all, that is what I want.

"So why then am I not happy about that?"

His recent busyness has been brought to my attention by Miriam. Frequently making business trips into and out of the nation's capital to attend to necessary company business that requires his skills. Most of the time, he makes it back. Other times, he has to stay overnight there. I really hope he makes time to rest.

Shelley sighed as she walked over to the fridge and got out some ice cream. Today has been rather slow. I have a whole day to myself and nothing to do with it.

She sighed even more as she pulled the kitchen stool to sit on it while she moved some cans of chips over.

As Shelley struggles to open the can of chips, a knock comes in. She moves to the door, pulling it open. Standing behind it is a rather tired-looking Ben, with the tie loose on the neck and his coat hanging loosely on the arm.

Ben! When did you get here?

He says, "Just now."

Then what're you doing here? You should be at home taking a relaxing bath and resting up. She says this as she moves behind him into the room.

"I prefer sorting your presence than that of my bed." I miss you.

It has been weeks since I set eyes on you or even spoke to you. She was about to say something when Ben cut her off. I recognise that I ought not to be saying these things to you, but I must. "Christ."

He drops into the sofa, dejected, as he leans back against it. Running his palm along his tired face.

Can I get you something to drink or eat, perhaps?

The ice cream over there will do. He said it with a smirk, pointing to the ice cream on the kitchen counter.

Right, ice cream. Anything else?

Nope, that will do.

As Shelley emerged from the kitchen with the ice cream and two spoons in hand, she caught sight of Ben tossing his shoes off and laying his legs comfortably on the table in front of him.

"I see you have made yourself comfortable."

"Please bear with me for today." He says this while making puppy eyes at her. Shelley giggles at his attempt to look adorable.

"Well, if you ask that way, it makes it very hard to refuse you," she says with a smirk. They both couldn't help but break into laughter.

After settling down on the couch with an ice cream bowl, they share stories about their lives apart during the weeks they haven't seen each other. Their conversation lasted for hours until Shelley finally got up to wash the dishes.

Perched on the couch by himself, Ben couldn't shake the weight that had settled into his eyes. He gave in to exhaustion after a long day on the job and fell asleep on the couch.

"Would you like to bathe?" Shelley inquires, walking into the room and discovering a rather sleepy Ben on the couch.

She smirked and said, "He sleeps." She then goes into her room and returns with a blancket, which she places firmly on him.

Later in the afternoon, he wakes up to an awfully quite room. He could feel her absence. "Shelley! where are you?"

Just then the front door swings open and she steps into the room with a bag in hand. Lifting her head to meet his gaze she said "sorry I went out for some groceries."

How was your sleep?

With a fix gaze on her as Ben sits on the couch, legs spread, he says, "Good." With your presence here, I slept like a baby.

Pretending not to have heard, she moves further into the kitchen, placing the bag on the counter as she puts away the groceries.

Would you like to bathe? I have some new towels stashed away somewhere in my closet. Unfortunately, I do not have men's wear here.

I have some spare clothes in my car. He says. I could get them. Thank you so much for the hospitality.

"Don't get too excited. You are not spending a night here."

Ben laughs at that, shaking his head as he makes his way to the parking lot. 

***
Some time later, Ben emerges from the bathroom bare-chested, wearing new pants and a towel on his head, drying out his hair.

Shelley caught sight of his toned abs. She teared her eyes away, her cheeks burning red, as she caught herself checking him out.

It smells good in here. says Ben.

"Are you hungry?"

"Very!"

Good. I made dinner, and you are eating.

"Whoa! Aren't you demanding?" Ben smirked. If you say it like that, it's very hard to refuse.

With Ben towered over her, admiring the food. She could feel his heat radiating towards her. She turned to face him. "You are crowding me. And for God's sake, put on some shirt."

He throws his hands in surrender, barks back, and says, "Fine." "Whatever you say," before dashing out to put a shirt on.

Moving to the table. They sat opposite each other in silence, relishing their meals and occasionally engaging in light conversation.

Right after dinner, Ben helps out by washing the dishes. Glancing in her direction, he says...

I meant to ask you. Will you be free this weekend?

"Yes, Why?"

I was wondering if we could go to the movies together. I can pick you up, so we go to the theatre to stream some movies. "What do you think?"

I don't think so. I really don't like going to the theatre.

"Oh, I see." Feeling disappointed, Ben decided to let it go.

Shelley glanced at him from the corner of her eyes, steadying his expression. "How about this? Why don't we bring the theatre here?"

Really! He says it happily. We can definitely do that.

With a smile on the corner of her lips, she resumes putting the dishes away.

-

A/N 05/05/2024 : Hi everyone, My apologies, but this chapter is on the shorter side. The next chapter is going to be as long as I can make it. Thus, I pray that this chapter meets with your approval. It would mean a lot if you could just drop a comment or vote.