Chapter Five: Closer

Wheeljack and Fablebreaker continued their brief respite in the cave. They had found solace in each other's company as they prepared to continue their nomadic traveling, the two predacons transformed into bipedal mode to eat what little energon they'd managed to scrounge up.

"I've been meaning to ask. Why did you abandon the other Predacons exactly? You said they weren't kind to you. Why was that?" Wheeljack asked, trying to get his mind off of his own problems.

"Because I was female. They were always in constant turmoil with each other vying for dominance as leader. It was always such a pain. But they stopped bickering when they determined that the one who made me their mate would rule them all." She snorted. "By that time I thoroughly despised them all. Some tried to woo me but others tried to force it." Fablebreaker tossed a crystal into her mouth and chewed, still agitated by it all after all these eons.

"They tried to-" Wheeljack started to get angry his chest rumbling.

"Oh no. They never actually touched me. Idiots were waiting for me to go into heat. Unfortunately for them, the one eyed creator put some kind of blocker in my system. Until it's removed I'm effectively sterile. No heat. No mating frenzy. and No whelplings." Fablebreaker stated.

"Heat? Mating frenzy?" Wheeljack asked in confusion.

"Until my first heat cycle, I'm physically incapable of actually accessing that part of my anatomy. It's strange but I assume it's some form of defense mechanism. Predacons mate for life, once a female has mated with a male predacon she will never mate with another. and only her mate will be able to tell when she goes into heat after the first encounter. Having that part of me locked gave me reassurance that they couldn't have me." Fablebreaker explained "Though now it's only vexing."

"Interesting," Wheeljack mused, processing the information. "So, they were trying to use you as a pawn in their power struggles. I can see why you left." He paused, deep in thought before speaking again. "But if Predacons mate for life, what happens if a mate dies?"

Fablebreaker sighed, her gaze distant as she recalled painful memories. "If a mate dies, the surviving partner will remain alone for the rest of their existence. It's a bond that transcends time and space, a connection that cannot be broken even by death." She glanced at Wheeljack, a hint of sadness in her optics. "I've seen it happen before, when the one eyed one was experimenting with us several females went into heat and had mated. They and their young died. Those few males who lost their mates were generally the only ones I trusted. They were the ones who urged me to leave. Truthfully it's a fate I wouldn't wish on anyone."

Wheeljack nodded understandingly, sensing the weight of Fablebreaker's words. "Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore. You're free from those stupid fraggers now." He offered her a small smile. "And hey, at least you won't have to deal with all that mating nonsense anymore."

Fablebreaker chuckled softly, the sound echoing in the dimly lit cave. "To tell you the truth, I've come to desire a mate. Many eons alone made me wish for many things I believed I would never have. And now that there are more predacons again, that dream is possible." 

"And who did you have in mind? Mr. Big dark and violent who keeps ripping my hide apart?" Wheeljack asked, attempting to joke but feeling jealousy bubble up inside him, hot and intense.

Fablebreaker laughed "I chose quite a while ago."

"Oh? And who is it?" Wheeljack's armor bristled.

"You, silly." She continued to laugh at his attempt to hide his jealousy.

Wheeljack's optics widened in surprise, his systems heating up with a mixture of bewilderment and something he couldn't quite place. "Me?" he asked, flustered by the unexpected confession from Fablebreaker. He blinked rapidly, trying to gather his thoughts as her laughter slowly subsided, leaving a warm glow in the dimly lit cave.

Fablebreaker's optics softened as she regarded Wheeljack with a fondness that tugged at something deep within him. "Yes, you. Out of every male I've ever met, you've never once treated me like I was lesser than you because I was weaker. You defend me even when I did not ask it of you. And there's many other reasons. You would be my choice for a mate."

Wheeljack sat there dumbfounded, a mix of emotions rushing through him.

She sighed sadly, drawing his attention back to her. "It's not like it'll happen though. The blocker prevents any of that from happening. No heat, no mate, no little whelplings for me."

Wheeljack's mind grappled with the whirlwind of emotions stirring within him. He had never allowed himself to entertain the idea of a romantic connection with Fablebreaker, or anyone to his recollection, but as he thought about it he found that he couldn't think of any kind of future for himself without her.

"I won't accept that," Wheeljack finally spoke, his voice steady and determined. "I gotta say I wasn't expecting me to be your pick. I still think of myself mostly as a grounder. It might take a while, but if there's a way to remove that blocker, then I'll find it. If I'm still what you want when that happens, I'd gladly be yours."

Fablebreaker got up and sat down next to Wheeljack, leaning against his chest with a hum. Her subharmonics putting off a new sound he hadn't heard before but made him feel happy.

"There's something about you that makes me believe that I can rebuild my life. And I want you in it." Wheeljack wrapped an arm around her, holding her close.

As they sat together in the quiet of the cave, a newfound sense of intimacy enveloping them both. The steady hum of Wheeljack's subharmonics resonated against Fablebreaker's frame, creating a rhythm that wove together in a song-like harmony.

Eventually they left the cave and continued on their journey.

Their journey took them through more rugged terrain and dense forests, the two constantly moving over the next several weeks.

One evening, as they settled down under a starlit sky, Fablebreaker leaned against Wheeljack. Ever since their conversation on mates, shy little touches and small shows of affection had become common between the two.

Wheeljack curled his frame around her smaller one and before they could settle into recharge they heard the snap of a branch. Both of their heads shot up, senses on alert.

In the darkness of the forest, shadows seemed to dance around them, concealing whatever threat lurked nearby. Fablebreaker and Wheeljack tensed, their frames poised for action as they scanned the surrounding trees for any sign of movement.

Fablebreaker and Wheeljack stood and took up defensive stances before noticing five pairs of gold optics in the forest weaving toward them.

'Our luck had to run out sometime. I see five predacons. The big bastard and four new ones.' Fablebreaker told Wheeljack.

'Run?' Wheeljack asked.

'Where would we go? Predacons operate on a basic principle. The strongest rules.' Fablebreaker stated.

'And I've beaten ugly by myself before. Think you can hold off the other four?'

'I can try. We don't know If there are more nearby. The one eye doesn't do things by half.'

'No he doesn't.' Wheeljack agreed.

The two predacons bristled and prepared themselves for a nasty fight.