20.) Scheming

[I might rewrite and edit this one when I have the time. For now, this is a rough draft.]

Third Person POV:

Wake up, drink, pass out, repeat. Wake up, drink, pass out repeat. That was Minjae's schedule now after losing the love of her life to an estranged noblewoman. He kept thinking it over, imagining fantasy scenarios where he'd done better.

Maybe if I hadn't taken so long to reply...

Or maybe if I'd explained things sooner...

Maybe if I'd never lied to her about my identity...

If only I had kissed her properly that night.

None of this would've happened. But he knew deep down that's not how fate worked. Somewhere on the thread of their lives they were meant to be torn apart. Yet Minjae continued to daydream about what could've been if he wasn't emperor. If he was a solider he'd be by her side and Hanni would be the doting wife serving him food while they had two little munchkin kids running around but no that was another lifetime. He thought back to his coming of age ceremony five years ago, that woman cursed him and she cursed him good. Maybe it was true, he was meant to suffer until the end of his life. Maybe he was meant to be alone. But Hanni, she was the best thing that had ever appeared in Minjae's life. No one could replace could ever replace her. Ever.

He had to sober up. He was at the edge of losing Hanni for good. He had one choice to make to lose or to win. And Minjae never loses. It was time for revenge. Haerin you better watch out.

----------------------------------------

Over the next weeks, Minjae sobered up and grew obsessive. He started to go into town more often, he would find any excuse to go into town. It didn't matter if it was a public appearance, official bussiness, or a village inspection, Minjae went regardless. But this was all a cover up to spy on Haerin and Hanni. Sometimes Minjae would slink around the shadows and corners of alleyways to watch the two of them. Other times he would disguise himself as different people to be able to tail them. They digustingly looked good together and Minjae hated how Hanni smiled and laughed so openly with Haerin. He was supposed to be the one she laughed with, but no he was stuck on the sidelines watching the love of his life be in the arms of another. He felt powerless.

----------------------------------------

In the palace, Minjae passed act after act to upcharge the taxes and mortgage in Miari. His ultimate goal was to make that area so unbearable that it would cause Haerin to live on the streets. Minjae increased the security around Miari, to enforce the law and ensure no one would escape from their taxes or from Miari. He added more royal guards onto his team to surround himself and keep his identity concealed but they were there for the sake of finding Hanni too. As soon as Hanni would appear again, Minjae would personally storm over and drag her back to the palace with him. It didn't matter if she was happy with Haerin, she was Minjae's in his mind. Only he was allowed to have her in his arms and nobody else could.

----------------------------------------

But privately in his room, he was exasperated with plans on how to win Hanni back. Plan after plan that he would think up and imagine would all have a bad end. At first he thought he could buy her love back with an extravagant display of flowers complete with fireworks and music. He closed his eyes and imagined the fireworks and him giving Hanni the flowers.

Minjae pranced around in circles and then dramatically turned around with a big cheeky grin on his face and a giant bouquet of flowers in hand.

"Ta-da!"

Hanni took the bouquet and gasped.

"T-this is too much." She was shocked with how big it was. "These are expensive."

"Anything for you."

I smiled at the daydream. But as one of Minjae's could never be too good, they always had to turn bad.

"You can't buy my love back." She firmly stated as she threw the flowers on the ground. "What makes you think flowers will solve everything?"

Minjae looked down at his feet and then back at her with sad puppy eyes.

"I'm sorry." He walked closer towards her and stretched his hand out to her face. But instead of an embrace from her, a slap landed on his cheek.

"But how am I supposed to express my love for you?"

Minjae sighed and thought about what else he could do to win her back. Maybe he could reach a truce? Reason with Haerin and they could both share Hanni. But Minjae shook his head at the thought, he wanted Hanni to be his and only his. How could he, the emperor, share with another? Murder, treason, and excommunication were all off the table because it would be too harsh and it would definitely stir up a scandal. Maybe the best bet was to clear things up with Hanni and come clean. But that meant starting their relationship from the start again and risking losing her all over again. The situation was too risky so he scrapped that idea too.

So what could Minjae do?