Oneshot #1- Vera- We Are Joined By Another Blond Psychopath

Enjoy the night the trio met from Vera's POV

The first time I met my friend Annabeth, I was in our dorm room at the beginning of fourth year, digging through my trunk for a pair of socks.

Daisy had given them to me a while ago; they were fluffy and had little racoon ears on the top. I had been hoping to find them right away, because the stone floor of our dorm room was cold, but they seemed to have vanished. Everyone else was settling in, too, so no one was talking much.

Anyway, I wasn't sure what to make of the transfer student. I mean, she had caused an uproar among the Gryffindors, which I always appreciated, but she also looked like she wanted to fight everyone. And she absolutely looked like she could kick my ass, so I figured I needed to get on her good side before she decided to kill me.

I hoped she would like us because we were Slytherins like her. Solidarity, right? But I honestly wasn't so sure. She scared me.

I was just pulling out a set of robes to see if my socks were under there when I heard the door open and footsteps coming in. I was a little scared to look at her, honestly. She'd spent the entire welcome feast glaring at everyone and setting fire to a piece of her food for some reason.

The metallic scrape of Millicent pulling her curtains shut sounded, which broke the silence pretty effectively.

Freddie looked up from where she had been sorting all her little trinkets. "Okay, Millicent," she said. "I see you're feeling moody."

Our new roomie raised an eyebrow. "I feel very welcome," she said bluntly.

"Don't take it personally," I said, finally giving up on my search and sitting back on my heels. "Millicent just hates everyone."

Millicent's bed was right next to mine, so I think I was the only one who heard her mutter, "I wonder why."

I studied this new girl, Annabeth Chase. Her blond curls fell around her shoulders. They weren't blond like Freddie's, whose hair was super pale, but Annabeth's was more golden like honey. Her eyes were this striking gray, and while she wasn't glaring at anyone at the moment, they were still really intimidating, like a stormy sky. I also couldn't help noticing that she was really pretty, though she couldn't compete with my Daisy in any way.

She was looking around the room, I noticed, her eyes going to the window and the door to the bathroom and scanning the ceiling and floor. It reminded me of the things I used to do: checking for exits, like she was preparing for a situation where she needed a quick escape.

I decided I would help her out here as much as I could. I could tell by the tense way she held herself that she didn't feel safe here yet, so I tilted my head and started on the first step that always helped me whenever I was in a new foster home: give her someone to trust.

"Sorry about the reaction everyone gave you in the Great Hall," I said. "I'll sneak down to the kitchens tomorrow and put shrimp in their cereal boxes."

Freddie sighed, dropping her head into her hands. "How about no, Vera? Don't you have detention already?"

"Detentions before classes even start?" Annabeth said, and I could tell she was starting to relax as she walked over to the only empty bed. "That takes talent."

I grinned. Finally, someone with an appreciation for cool things. "Thank you very much." Standing up, I twirled my hands and took a gentlemanly bow. Next step: sharing names. Things were always better when you knew everyone's names. "I'm Vera Ortiz. The grumpy one in the corner is Millicent Bullstrode. The one ignoring us is Pansy Parkingson, and this is Freckles—"

"Freddie," Freddie said, giving me a look. "Short for Frederica. I don't know what my parents were thinking. But yeah, I'm Freddie Henningson. Annabeth Chase, right?"

"Right," Annabeth said, examining her trunk and beg, both sitting at the foot of her new bed. "Is there a reason the school thinks I'm the devil?"

I rolled my eyes. "That's a stupid school rivalry. Everyone hates us but the Hufflepuffs. Ravenclaws follow their ringleaders, the Gryffindors. They think they're so much better than us because our house produces the most evil wizards. Ever wonder why? Maybe ask that first year everyone hissed and booed at the second he was sorted into Slytherin. Or—" I pointed at Annabeth— "the transfer student everyone was so excited to have before she became a Snake!"

Freddie groaned and gave me another look. "God, this again." she looked at Annabeth. "Every time someone brings it up."

"Sorry I care about our house image!" I went on. Seriously, this whole school was so unfair to us! "Maybe if the Gryffindors weren't such bullies—"

"Vera, you threw a ball of mud at a Gryffindor in our year and ran away cackling."

"Okay, that was different," I said. "He made fun of Daisy on the train. He's lucky all he got was a ball of enchanted mud."

I was still proud of that. It had been raining cats and dogs when we got off the train earlier, which created a nice amount of mud and a good revenge plan for me. That asshole called my girlfriend a freaking weed. No way was I going to let him get away with that.

"What did you do to the mud?" Pansy asked, unfortunately breaking her silence.

"Permanent sticking charm," I said smugly. That mud was never going to get out. I only wished I could dump a whole bunch of it into his trunk and ruin all his things.

"Daisy is Vera's girlfriend," Freddie explained. "Vera's really protective of her."

"You would be too if you heard what that Gryffindor was saying to her on the train," I said, crossing my arms. Then an idea occurred to me. "Come to think of it, do you think the house elves in the kitchens will take a bribe to put a blistering potion in his dinner?"

"I dare you to try," Pansy snickered. "But use poison."

Interesting idea.

"Well, that's about a typical day in the Slytherin dorms." Freddie sat down next to Annabeth on her bed. I noticed that Annabeth had relaxed immensely in the last few minutes. "One second we're all chatting aimlessly, the next we're plotting murder. You'll have fun here."

"It's really not that different from my old school," Annabeth said, a glint of amusement in her eye. "Very random and chaotic. That's how we function."

"You're going to explain what you mean by that tomorrow." I yawned. Step three: inviting her into the group. Giving her something fun to expect. "Right now I'm tired."

Holding back a yawn, I flopped down into my bed. I'd recently learned that sleeping without my pillow was pretty comfortable, so I curled up without it and pulled my blanket over my head, cause I liked sleeping in complete darkness.

I could hear Freddie sniggering from Annabeth's bed, which was across from mine. "God, you're such a lesbian."

I pulled my blanket off my head. "You better believe it," I said, smirking at her. "Gay and ready to fight god."

I gave a challenging look to Annabeth (which was honestly the scariest thing I'd ever done), because if she said anything bad about being gay now then the whole plan was off. Thankfully, she just smiled, and I burrowed back into my blankets.