HELL BEGINS

Last night we received our scores.

.

.

.

District 1: Snow - 9, Octavia - 9

District 2: Archie - 10, Paylor 9

District 3: Titus - 8, Crane 6

District 4: Sea - 10, Rory - 8

District 5: Ivory - 8, Trinket - 7

District 6: Castor - 7, Dove - 4

District 7: Gray - 8, Clover - 6

District 8: Atlas - 4, Jinx - 8

District 9: Mitch - 9, Ena - 3

District 10: Dalton - 10, Bee - 2

District 11: Winter - 9, Oda - 7

District 12: Reaper - 8, Tara - 10

I was pissed to say the least. How the hell did they give me a 10? How!? I was lazy, I barely made those shots! Bee was screaming at her score. "How did I get a 2!? The lowest score!" Her face was blood red. Everyone was congratulating me and Louisa tried to calm Bee down. I felt like yelling too. This wasn't something to be happy about. I just got a huge target placed on my back. They are going to murder me!

I mean they were anyway, but now they'll want to even more! I groan as I get up and drag my feet back to my room. I flopped down on my bed and closed my eyes. My room...? My bed...? Since when were these MY things? These things, everything, belongs to the Capitol. These people...their the entire reason I'm here. The entire reason ALL of us are here. All because they want a bloodbath. I sigh heavily as I go over what is to come tomorrow.

I will either die tomorrow, or I will somehow manage to live. Then I'll be allied with Sea and maybe Dove, but then what? What's the plan? What will the arena be like? Forest? Dessert? Ocean? Ice? Mountains? How can anyone really be ready for this hell?

I am interrupted by a knock on my door. "Yes?" I ask. "It's Wilder, may I come in?" He asks through the closed door. "Sure," I reply. The door opens soon after and in walks Wilder in a loose blue shirt and a pair of sweatpants. "Hey," He greets. "Hi," I reply. He walks over and takes a seat on the bed beside me. We sit in silence for a while. "So, you ready for this?" He asks. "Were you?" I ask. "No, but your stronger and more skilled than I was." He says.

I turn to look at him, meeting his eyes. Before I realize, he places a kiss on my cheek. "Do what you have to. Survive. Kill if you need to." He says. He sighs. "Just do whatever you can to come back. I'll be waiting, so will you brothers and parents." He smiles. "Wilder?" I ask suddenly. "Yes?" I hesitate. "How many years ago did you become victor?" I ask. "Six years ago. I was a year younger than you." He replies. 

"Did you mentor a girl named Lakyn?" I ask. "...yes. She was the tribute two years ago. She was fifteen. Why?" He asks. I bite my lip. Of course he mentored her. "She was my best friend. Almost as if she were my sister." I explain. I don't look at him, just stare at the floor. Silence. "Can you give her mom something for me once you go back?" I ask. "It's something she gave me before she left." I say. I reach over the bed and grab something off the nightstand. 

It was her bracelet. A single charm hangs from it. A silver rose. I meet his eyes. He looks sad and a little bit desperate. I put it in his hand. He grabs my hand and puts it back. "You can give it to her once you come back." He says. I shake my head. I give it back to him. "Just promise. Just in case." I mumble. He hesitates. "Okay. I promise." He says. We sit and talk about empty things, neither of us able to sleep.

.

.

.

"Dalton, this outfit is designed for the climate and area of the arena. Be sure to be careful with it." Haran explains. I look at myself in the mirror. Skin tight black suit underneath a loose yellow top and a pair of knee length white shorts. It is completed with a pair of boots with a ton of grip. I'm guessing maybe mountain terrain? I worked a lot on climbing in the training center, hopefully it pays off.

I breath in a shaky and deep breath. I can't believe this is actually happening. I am ready for any weapon, for any poison, for any hand to hand combat, I just don't know if I'm ready to KILL someone. How could I do that? I'm still a kid! Just like all the other tributes! How is any of this fair? I don't understand.

"It's time now, Dalton." Haran pulls me from my thoughts. I am suddenly engulfed in a strong set of arms tenderly. "Good luck. Give them hell." She whispers in my ear. She unwraps me from herself and I step into the tunnel like elevator. I look at Haran until I am blocked by the darkness of the walls as I rise to the surface.

I look around to see paths leading to and away from the cornucopia. I look among the tributes standing about 15ft away on their own little platform. The timer ticks down. I look around for Sea. I see him on the other end. He seems to spot me. He nods and gestures to the cornucopia. I nod back. Run like hell to it, grab as much as I can, and then get the hell out. The time runs down to five seconds. I prepare myself to start sprinting. The timer goes down.

...3...

...2...

...1...

BUZZZZZ!!!!