First day At School - April 15th

I sat nervously in the reception area, waiting for the yearhead to arrive. The clock ticked away, but I barely noticed it. My heart was beating fast as I thought about my new school and everything that came with it. It was my first day, and to make matters worse, the term was almost over. I had arrived in the country just three weeks ago, and I had no idea what to expect from this new school.

I fidgeted with my fingers and bounced my leg up and down anxiously. I looked around nervously, trying to calm my racing thoughts. Occasionally, I offered a smile to the lady at the reception, who was busy typing away on her computer. But my emotions were all over the place, and I felt completely overwhelmed.

Suddenly, the door opened, and a teacher walked in. As soon as I saw her, I knew it was the year head, Ms. Thomas. She greeted me warmly and led me outside the reception building. I quickly swung my backpack over my shoulder, put on my hat, and followed her lead.

Ms. Thomas showed me around the eating areas and the upper year's science labs. She then introduced me to the teacher in charge of the cadets, Mr. Brown. After that, she got me a lock for my locker, and we headed over to it.

My locker was number 538, located next to the Computer Resources Center. Ms. Thomas gave me a demo on how to open the lock, but I struggled a bit since I wasn't used to this type of lock. I was more familiar with locks that required a key or a combination code. After the demo, Ms. Thomas took me to my first two periods.

I was surprised to learn that I had PE first thing in the morning on Tuesdays. As it turned out, the entire year group had PE, and they went swimming in the first and fourth terms. During the second and third terms, they didn't go swimming due to the winter season. I had to sit out this swimming session for obvious reasons.

Ms. Thomas introduced me to two girls, Ruby and Eva. I tried to introduce myself, but they struggled to pronounce my name, and it took me eight attempts to get them to say it correctly. After the swimming session was over, Mr. Ruiz, the PE teacher for my class, introduced himself to me. I simply shook his hand, smiled, and walked away with Ella, a girl I spoke with while the others were swimming.

After the first two periods, there was a 20-minute assembly every Tuesday and Thursday, followed by a 20-minute morning tea break. On Mondays and Fridays, we had 20 minutes of classroom time or something similar called "Form," followed by a 20-minute morning tea break. On Wednesdays, we had a 30-minute Form session and an activity somewhere around the school every other week, followed by a 40-minute morning tea break.

At the assembly, while waiting for everyone to gather, I stood by the side, unsure of what to do. That's when two girls, Christine and Maria, approached me and introduced themselves. They asked if I was new, and I confirmed that it was my first day. They then showed me which class was mine, and they sat according to classes.

After the assembly, when everyone dispersed in different directions, Christine grabbed my hand and guided me through the crowd. They took me to where they ate during morning tea, which was a dried-up pond shaded by two big trees.