45

After the heated conversation we'd had, I'd decided to take a shower to think things through. After several minutes, I realised that the argument had escalated unnecessarily. He hadn't told me, but he'd done all this to protect me, and that was enough.

— Daniel? I called after coming out of the bathroom, not seeing him in the living room. Daniel?

There was no answer. He was neither in the little reading room in the living room nor in the bedroom. Thinking that I'd looked everywhere for him, I realised that I'd forgotten the guest room. When I went in, he was sat on the bed, staring off into the distance. I knocked to let him know I was there, but he didn't blink.

— Daniel?

Then he looked at me.

— Look, I got carried away earlier. I got carried away and I didn't react properly to the situation. I was just worried that Trevor might become your obsession as you investigated him, I don't want him to monopolise your thoughts as well. I imagine it's hard not to lose yourself when you're chasing a psychopath, and I don't want that to end up eating away at you. I think I deserved to know, even though I know you kept it from me for my own good.

When I'd finished, he gave me one of his wonderful smiles. Reassured that he wasn't angry at me anymore, I sat down beside him. He raised his right hand and slowly brought it to my cheek. I intensified the contact by pressing on his hand and closing my eyes.

— I won't let him take over and monopolise my thoughts all the time. Yes we are doing intense searches to find him, but I'll never put him before you. That doesn't excuse the fact that I should have been honest with you, but I was afraid you wouldn't agree. But the solution is not not to talk about it. Communicating about sensitive subjects has... never been my cup of tea.
— Don't worry, I replied, hugging him.

After that tumultuous morning, I told him he could go to work, but he didn't like the idea of leaving me alone.

— But don't worry, Theo, Tom and Emmeline are here, and if you give me their contact details, I'll get in touch with them if there's a problem. Besides, we've got several locks. I hadn't heard him unlock each one because I was in the bedroom. But if I stay in the living room, I'll hear if anyone tries to pick the locks and I'll let them know straight away. They'll have plenty of time to get upstairs before anyone comes in.

He sighed and, after a few moments' thought, finally agreed. I made lunch before he started getting ready to go back.

— Stop worrying, I said, sitting on the bed and watching him change. Everything's going to be fine.
— I hope so. I'm having the locks changed today, so don't panic if the locksmith comes.
— All right, then. By the way, have you seen Simon in the last few days? I asked, suddenly thinking about him.
— Oh no, he said, turning back to me. With all that's happened, I forgot to bring him food.

He seemed to feel guilty.

— Don't blame yourself. I'd bought him enough food for several days. I'm going to heat up the leftovers from our lunch. Oh yes, I also need to find him a place to sleep and a job.

He frowned.

— Liz, I know it's not easy to hear this, but it can be very hard for a homeless person to find work.
— I'm aware of that, Daniel, but he's a human being like the rest of us. He deserves a chance in life.
— All right, then. I'll finish getting ready and then I'll join you in the kitchen.

I heated up a hot dish, squeezing some oranges and putting some biscuits in a bag, I put on my coat and boots.

— Do you want to come with me to see Simon? asked Danied.
— Yes.
— Don't you think it's too risky with Trevor?
— Daniel, you'll be with me, what could happen to me?

He reluctantly agreed, then pulled a coat over his shirt. After collecting the bag I was holding, he led me outside. Despite the cloudy sky, it was good to get out after such a day.

— Where are Theo, Tom and Emmeline? I asked, curious to know where they were hiding.

He pointed to a car with a tinted, if not black, front windscreen. When I tried to see them in the passenger compartment, a hand came out of the passenger window.

— But isn't it illegal to have such a tinted windscreen?
— Yes, but not when we have the right credentials. It's true that we regularly get stopped in the service car, but we're entitled to it because it's used most of the time for stakeouts.
— Oh, I see. But do you do these often? Ah, no, in fact, don't tell me, I said, raising my hands up. You and your confidential work, I teased him.

He smiled and nodded, then got into the car.

— So they're going to be staking out the entrance to the building day and night?
— Yes, well, in turn, as well as observing the surroundings to make sure there's no danger.

I nodded and fastened my seatbelt. I took a quick look at the tree near the car, presumably at the end of its life cycle. A wave of sadness passed through me before Daniel started the car.