60

Plunged into the second novel of Daniel's series, I saw him stop in front of me, with my ringing phone in his hand. I got up from the sofa and hastily picked up the phone, realising that it was Ingrid calling.

— Hello, Ingrid! How are you?
— I'm fine, thanks, and you?
— I'm very well, thank you.
— So, I'm calling about your manuscript. Your changes are excellent. I've had my collaborators read it, and everyone loves it. We'll have to talk about the cover after the Christmas holidays.

Tears welled up in the corners of my eyes as my heart raced; happiness overwhelmed me. Although Ingrid had already approved my manuscript, I had been so worried that the rewrite wouldn't live up to her expectations. Daniel seemed to have heard what our editor had told me, as he started doing a little happy dance, looking very excited. As I realised that I was overwhelmed with emotions, I shook my head to regain composure and continue my conversation with Ingrid.

— Thank you so much, I don't know what more to say.
— That's perfectly normal. Besides, I wanted to tell you before Christmas, as I guessed how much it would please you.

As it was a Saturday, I realised that she had called me on a day off.

— But Ingrid, you could have sent me a message or simply told me when you were working!
— But no, otherwise you wouldn't find out for another two weeks. I preferred to tell you now.
— Well, that's really nice of you.
— I'll leave you to it then. Have a wonderful Christmas holiday!
— Thank you too!

Excited too, I explained our entire conversation to Daniel, even though he seemed to have heard it all before. He was so happy; his face was beaming. We bounced around like five-year-olds for several minutes before I finally ran out of breath. He smiled, then we prepared the meal.

— Ingrid has always been so helpful but I didn't think she would work on a holiday.

After we'd finished lunch, we hurried back to my flat to clean it up for my family, who were due to arrive the next day. I was so looking forward to spending Christmas with them and Daniel's family. Harry had told me that he was anxious to meet them. So I assured him that they were all extremely nice people. My mother and Charlie, on the other hand, were looking forward to meeting them.

In the afternoon, Daniel and I bought some new Christmas decorations. Around half past six, we went out for a drink. I wanted to enjoy an outing with him, especially as the threat posed by Trevor was finally behind us.

After we'd ordered two glasses of wine, I remembered that I'd forgotten to tell Daniel the big news.

— By the way, Simon's found a flat and he'll be moving in next week! I shouted, ignoring the surrounding tables.

As I stared at Daniel, I could see that he thought he'd heard wrong. I smiled so much my cheeks ached, and Daniel's eyes sparkled with joy.

— But how? he exclaimed.

I explained all the paperwork we'd had to fill in the week before. I'd forgotten to tell him about it because his workload had reduced our message exchanges.

— It's absolutely incredible, Liz, you're amazing.

I smile at him.

— Just like you.
— It's baffling all the steps you have to take to be able to have a roof over your head. But listen, I'm so glad Simon will have one now. I do hope we can keep in touch.
— Of course it is, Daniel! I reassured him, before glancing at the waiter who was placing our glasses on the table.

After we'd had a toast, I decided to broach the subject of the stranger. It was time we set the record straight on this. He asked me about the person I speculated he was.

— Are you still talking to him? he then asked me.
— Yes, I'm still answering his notes. Do you mind?

He seemed to hesitate.

— No. Well... I don't know.
— I can understand that you don't like it and your opinion is very important to me, Daniel. Of course, before I met you, I was very curious about his identity. And I still am. But I'm not going to get romantically involved with him. I used to think that intellectually he was everything I wanted, but since we became serious and official, I haven't thought of him in that way. I found you for a reason and you are emotionally and physically what I've always wanted. I take values like respect and honesty to heart, so if you'd prefer me to cease all contact with the stranger, I'll do so.

My heart was beating so fast I could feel it in every part of my body. Daniel could have decided that I should interrupt my correspondence with the stranger for good, and that would've felt like a cold shower. My brain scrambled, I looked up to see that he seemed relieved. Not wishing to jump to conclusions, I let the silence last.

— No, I don't want you to stop answering his notes. I trust you enough to exchange notes with a stranger. I just want you to be honest with me if one day you realise that you're developing feelings for him.
— Feelings? But Daniel, of course not.
— I know you wouldn't want that, but things like that happen and it would mean that we weren't right for each other in the first place.

I looked at him, dumbfounded. How could he imagine that I would develop feelings for the stranger? Although I understood, I didn't want to believe that such a scenario would be possible. Life seemed far too perfect, and we were a couple. After everything we'd been through with Trevor, I refused to let Daniel go anywhere.

I nodded as I made a radical decision. I was going to go to the library and return Second Time Around with a note that would put an end to our exchange.