Chapter 4: First Mission

After a lot of rigorous training, I was ready for my first mission as a low-ranked Maverick Hunter. X and Zero woke me up, "Let's go Ash, time to get up. We have a little surprise for you." I slowly sat up and rubbed my eye, "Huh? What is it?" Zero answered, "Well, X told me that you probably missed your tenth birthday during all of your training. So, we both pitched in on a present and that's..." They led me into the weapons storage and revealed my very own armor, perfectly sized for me. "Gear up Ash, Commander Sigma needs us for mission briefing in ten minutes." Later, I stood by X & Zero ready for whatever comes my way. "Good morning everyone. Today, we welcome a new member to our ranks. Please step forward Ash." I nervously stepped forward, "Ash, your training has proved that you're not a low-rank hunter. You're immediately being moved to the same rank as X. I'm only warning you once; if you disobey orders, wander away from your team, or mess up, you'll be severely punished. Do I make myself clear?" I nodded, "Y- yes Commander Sigma." I walked back to X & Zero, "Alia, brief everyone on their missions." She nods, "Reports have been coming in about multiple mavericks in the area, each team will deal with them. Once your mission is complete, report back to base." Sigma looked at each group, "X's team will be dispatched first. Don't fail this mission, understand?" X & Zero saluted, "Yes Commander Sigma, Sir!" 

When we arrived, Zero scouted ahead while X stayed with me. I was still nervous, "I- I don't think I'm up to this... what if I do mess up?" X knelt in front of me, "Don't worry Ash, you'll do just fine. Just remember to stay by us so you don't get hurt, ok?" I nod, "Ok X..." "Hey! I found a group of Mavericks over here!" The three of us hid closeby, not making a sound. The group of Mavericks looked like they were illegally handling a very rare metal, we stayed alert waiting to attack. When the time was right, we striked, taking out the group one by one. I tripped and misfired, X pulled me to safety while Zero finished things off. "I'm- I'm sorry... it won't happen again!!" X dried my tears, "It's ok, that was just one little accident. Let's head back to base, alright?" Back at base, I was called in to speak with Sigma. He probably knows what happened during our mission, hopefully I'm not in trouble. "Zero has told me what happened... I'm letting you off with a warning. Don't let another mishap happen, do I make myself clear?" I sadly nodded, "Yes Commander Sigma, it won't happen again. I won't mess up next time, I promise." He walked past me, "Welcome Storm Eagle, this is the person I'd like you to train. Apparently she need more intense training so she doesn't mess up during missions." Storm Eagle looked at me, "You want me to train a little girl? What would X say about this?" Sigma responded, "X doesn't have to know, I want you to give Ash here a real challenge in the training area. Can you do that?" He saluted, "Yes Sir. I'll do my best." 

After hours of intense training, Storm Eagle took me to my room for the night. As he left, X & Zero walk in to check on me. "Ash! What happened?! You're covered in scratches, your armor is dented, and you look really tired." Zero scoffed, "I know what happened, apparently Commander Sigma asked Storm Eagle to give her intense training. I saw it on the training room logs when I went there after them." X tended to my scratches with a first aid kit, "Some of these are pretty deep, she's leaking oil a bit. Zero, mind fixing her hair while I do this?" Zero nodded then grabbed a brush and began to style my hair into a braid. "There, keep these bandages on for a couple of days, I'll see if your armor could be repaired." "I'll go talk to Commander Sigma, your job now is to just rest, alright Ash?" I nodded, "Ok... goodnight..."  I could hear several arguments outside while I was asleep. Zero sounded really upset along with X, then it all stopped. They then walk into my room and pack my things. "She isn't safe here X, we'll send her somewhere where she could be safe, her time period." X gently picked me up while I was still sleeping, "We should probably give her our backup memory chips so she doesn't miss us." Zero slipped them into my backpack's side pocket, then started up the time pad. X set me down, then they both hugged me, "Goodbye Ash... we'll never forget about you." As I disappeared, the boys were caught by Sigma, I didn't know what would happen next, only where I would end up.