Chapter 5: Returning to Radiator Springs

Everything was still dark, but I could feel something soft underneath me. When I opened my eyes, I found myself back in the motel room I remember staying in three years ago. I heard some chatter coming from outside, so I listened into it. "-I don't know how she came back, all I know is that we need to watch out for her again." "Well, she does look like she grew up a bit. Ash has been gone for three years after all." Lightning didn't say anything else, Sally drove off while he opened the door. I couldn't believe that I was back, neither did Lightning, "...I really am back here! I'm so sorry that I didn't visit. We're still friends, right?" He smiled, "Of course Ash, we're all still confused on how ya got back, but we're sure glad that you are." I'd happily stood up and leaned against him, "I'm really glad that I'm back. I can't wait to have more fun with all of ya!" When I walked over to the V8 Café, everyone was happy to see me. "Good to have you back sugar." "Welcome home Ash, we missed you." "I hope you stayed out of trouble." "Ey, welcome back!" "Oh Ash, itsa so good that you're here!" "Welcome back man." "Well dadgum! I didn't know that yer were back!" "She was gone?" I'd smirked, "It's good to be back everyone..." Lightning gently pushed something in front of me, "We kinda missed a few birthdays, so this is from all of us." I opened the present; to my surprise, it was a set of white wall tires and a card. The card read; 'There's no need to be afraid of being like us once in a while.' I smiled, "Thanks everyone, I guess you're right- I shouldn't be afraid of embracing another side of me." After a quick tire change and new casual paint job, I'd felt like I belonged in this town once more.

As the traveler rush rolled into town, I went back to lending a tire and having fun doing it. The music was swinging, and I was happy as I could be. I sang along to the music, the customers really enjoyed my performance just like they did before. When things died down for the day, I went with Lightning to our usual training spot since he wanted to go for win number four. "Wow, you're gonna be a four time champion soon?! I sure missed a lot of your races." He chuckled, "Don't worry, I'm always gonna bring you along. I can't leave behind my unique best friend behind, I'd say our friendship is an unlikely one at best." I motivated Lightning to keep on going for a couple of hours. When we rolled back into town, I noticed something a bit off. "You ok Ash? I could tell that you were yourself just a while ago, but now you're not saying anything." I replied, "I'm fine Lightning, it's just- I didn't see Doc this morning..." He quickly changed the subject, "Hey! Why not we uh- chat with everyone. You can tell us where ya been." Later, I told everyone where I was, what I was up to, and how much I missed being around them. "Now that I'm back, I'm not sure how long I'll be here for. I have to actually return home at some point." I wanted to stay so I could watch Lightning, but I had a feeling that someone would be looking for me.

The new piston cup season started up, and I was ready to cheer on my best friend. The trip was long, but sometimes Lightning changes things up so we don't have to spend most nights on the trailer. My birthday came up, and unfortunately there was a special race on that day. Afterwards, Lightning remembered what today was. "I almost forgot, today's your eleventh birthday! How bout you and I stay in this area and celebrate?" He and I had loads of fun doing what I wanted to do; we checked out the area, chatted, and I discovered that apparently sentient vehicles could skateboard! We heard that there was a firework show tonight, so we found a nearby park to go watch it. "Today was really great Lightning! I had a lot of fun!" He smiled, "I'm glad to see you happy, that's what I like most being your unlikely friend." I felt a bit baffled, "Y- yeah... if I didn't land in that field, then we wouldn't be friends!" The fireworks lit up the sky, I gazed at the spectacle and my eyes reflected the wonderful colors filling the sky. The final race for the season rolled around, I was excited that I'd just knew Lightning could win his fourth piston cup. The final five laps were intense, but I kept cheering my friend on. Just then- I was grabbed by someone super fast, disappearing into a portal.