Second chance pt3

Murtasim had been estranged in a petty legal battle with Malik Zubair, who had pathetically seized control of the land rightfully belonging to the Khan family. Through deceit and manipulation, Zubair managed to take hold of the crucial land documents by his blackmailing, plunging the Murtasim into tangled web of legal complications.

Despite the land legally belonging to the Khans, Zubair's possession of the papers posed a significant obstacle in reclaiming what was rightfully theirs. The panchayat had already declared the ownership of the Khan's yet Malik Zubair's whininess knew no limit. To make matters worse, Zubair, ever the pathetic jerk, resorted to stalling tactics, dragging out the legal proceedings and prolonging the case.

Mr. Farooqi, who was a trusted confidant and longtime friend of Shahnawaz Khan, had been lending his expertise to navigate the intricate legal labyrinth. However, despite their efforts, the issue remained unresolved, add more to Murtasim's already disturbed life. As Murtasim pondered the complexities of the situation, he was interrupted by the sound of his mother entering his room.

"Main aapse aaj milne aata hoon toh yeh detail mein discuss karte hain," Murtasim said to his mother, his voice tinged with exhaustion. His shoulders sagged with the weight of the unresolved legal battle and his internal turmoil.

"Murtasim, mujhe tumse kuch baat karni thi," Maa Begum said softly as she settled beside Murtasim on the sofa, her expression filled with concern.

"Jee maa," Murtasim replied, his eyes reflecting weariness and fatigue.

"Woh Haya ka phone aaya tha aur woh bohot ro rahi thi toh--" Maa Begum began, but Murtasim interrupted with a sigh.

"Maa, haven't we had this conversation so many times before? I don't care if she's crying or not, but I won't let her come back. She was the one who knew that Anas was Malik Zubair, and yet she stayed quiet about the whole situation just to manipulate it according to her will! Agar Meerab aur Mariam ko iss baat ki saza mili hai toh usse bhi milni chahiye hain," Murtasim's voice held traces of anger as he recalled the betrayal of his cousin.

"Lekin usne mujhe bola tha ke hum uska bharoosa nahi karen gaye agar woh hume yeh sab batati toh--" Maa Begum tried to reason, but Murtasim cut her off.

"Maa, please. I cannot deal with her right now. I made the right decision of sending her to her dadi's place. Now you should just get her married so that we fulfill our duty towards her and end this chapter forever," Murtasim asserted firmly, his tone brooking no further argument.

"Theek hai, lekin Murtasim, tumhara kiya? Tum kya kar rahe ho apni zindagi ke saath?" Maa Begum's voice softened with concern as she studied her son's tired features.

"I'm perfectly fine!" Murtasim retorted, his defenses rising instinctively.

"Yeh kya hala karliya hai tumne apne? Na sahi se sote ho, na hi kuch khate ho. Kitne dinon tak ghar se ghayab rehte ho. Murtasim, Meerab ko gaye hue paanch saal hogaye hain. Bhool jao ab usse aur apni zindagi mein aage bharo," Maa Begum pleaded, her eyes reflecting a mother's worry and love, shimmering with unshed tears.

"Nahi bhool sakta, Maa," Murtasim's voice quivered, a melody of longing and regret that resonated through the room like a haunting refrain. "Aapko kyu nahi samajh aata ke main cha kar bhi Meerab ko nahi bhoola sakta. Usse shaadi karwana aap logon ka faisala tha, lekin usse mohabbat karna meri taqdeer." Murtasim paused as he inhaled deeply, "Mere bas mein sirf usse mohabbat karna hai, aur main woh marte dam tak karoon ga," he confessed, his words a testament to the depth of his feelings.

"Murtasim," Maa Begum's voice quivered with emotion, her heart breaking for her son.

"Maa please. Mujhe ab jaana hai. Farooqi Sahab mere intezaar kar rahe hongaye," Murtasim said softly, his voice a mere whisper, betraying the turmoil raging within him. With a heavy heart, he rose from his seat, his movements slow and deliberate as if he were carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.