A Day Off

The next morning, I woke up peacefully, without a man named Gibby shouting in my face. Instead, the birds singing woke me up. Sunshine streamed through the window across the woman sprawled out next to me. Her black curls covered her face as she slept silently.

I reached over and brushed them out of her face, stopping only for a few seconds to admire how beautiful she was. Being this close to her, I noticed the small freckles that dotted the bridge of her nose. And even while she slept, a pink blush stained her cheeks.

She was the epitome of beauty and she didn't even know it.

Getting out that bed this morning was difficult. Not because it was so comfortable, though anything would be more comfortable than the deteriorating cot they forced me to sleep on, but because I knew the trouble that was waiting for me back at the camp. I had half the notion to just stay here but eventually, they'd torture my location out of Peter.

I didn't want to put him through that.

Another feat was going to be getting passed Valencia without her waking up. If she woke up, she'd ask me to stay and I didn't know if I had it in me to deny her a request anymore.

I lifted her pale hand from my chest and watched as she wrapped her fingers around mine. Sighing, I pulled from her grip and luckily that didn't wake her.

The journey back to camp was a quiet one. A depressing, dreary, quiet walk. I couldn't help but think about how she would react when she woke up in a few hours and noticed me gone. Would she think it was a dream? Or would she be angry? Maybe she'd feel this empty feeling just like me. Regardless, I didn't wish this feeling on anyone, especially not her.

I pushed passed the treeline, revealing myself to the campsite. The early morning hustle and bustle of the camp only dampened my mood. And if I thought I couldn't feel any worse, I was wrong. As soon as I made it to my tent, Gibby started in on me, lecturing me on my whereabouts.

"You still look a little pale, Gibby," I commented, brushing off his scolding as I unloaded my backpack. "Aren't you feeling any better?"

"I haven't been able to keep anything down. Not even water," He huffed and wiped the sheen of sweat from his forehead.

"Shame," I hummed along until strong hands grabbed me by my collar. "Get your hands off me," I snapped.

"If I find out you did this on purpose, I will make your life a living hell." I winced as his hot morning breath wafted over my face. I willed myself not to gag at the leftover puke smell.

"Get off me. I am not in the mood, Gibby,"

"It's Mr. Gibson." He pushed me away from him. "Where is it that you're disappearing to?"

"As if that's any of your business," I straightened out my clothes.

"I'll tell your father-,"

I laughed, "You're threatening me with my father? Go ahead, tell him that you've lost track of me yet again. I'm sure he'd love to hear that."

"Fine," He grumbled and disappeared out of the tent. Whatever he told my father, it didn't matter. I could deal with the repercussions.

"You didn't come back last night," Peter said, entering the tent.

"You're right. And before you insinuate, nothing bad happened. Valencia and I had a great time. We talked, well, we tried to. It's kind of hard when there's two kinds of language barriers." I explained before relaxing on my cot.

"You've ruffled a few feathers in doing so, haven't you?" He asked, taking a seat beside me.

"I guess so. Doesn't matter. The only thing that's going to change is a more watchful eye. Good thing I have my trusty assistant to help me escape," I nudged his arm and he rolled his eyes.