Chapter 3: Family Day

"Didn't I make it clear already? At home, I handle the architecture and you take care of shipbuilding. But big brother, aren't you going a bit too far with what you've done?" a man with a sinister look loudly chided in the hall.

"What have I done?"

"Don't think I'm oblivious to it. That piece of land in the state that's been the talk of the town was snatched up by you," the man continued.

"In the world of business, there are no family ties, only the capable prevail. That's a saying our father always had on his lips, and you can't deny it, can you?"

A slightly overweight middle-aged man chuckled, his tone growing heavier with meaning, "Besides, third brother, even if big brother didn't develop that plot of land in the state, it wouldn't have been your turn. I heard that the Caboat family had plans to intervene, but I thwarted them."

"Is that really the Caboat family's doing?"

The third brother scoffed in disbelief, and with a sinister tone suggested, "Big brother, shall I play the role of the Caboat family and sabotage the next shipment?"

Before he finished speaking, there was a loud "Bang!"

The eldest brother stood up furiously, slamming the table, "Do you even regard me as your elder brother?"

"Do you even look the part of an elder brother?"

"Ah, William Vanderbilt, have you lost all respect for seniority? Don't forget, within this family, I am the elder brother, the main heir to come!"

"It's not over until it's over. What if someone ends up unfit for their role?" the third brother replied without backing down, his words dripping with sarcasm.

"..."

"..."

The onlookers seemed unfazed by the quarrel, not intervening but rather enjoRichardsonng the spectacle.

Sebastian watched the scene unfold, his expression unchanged.

He had grown used to such scenes in his past life.

The portly man was the family patriarch's eldest son, named Charles Vanderbilt, controlling the core industry of the Oceanic Group, Oceanic Heavy Industries, and was a leading candidate for the next head of the family.

The third brother was William Vanderbilt, who controlled another core industry of the Oceanic Group, Oceanic Construction.

Both uncles were ambitious, always coveting each other's business domains.

Their meetings always ended in heated disputes.

In this family, there was no affection, only the purest of interests, with only the blood running through their veins maintaining the last semblance of kinship.

But Sebastian knew that after the grandfather's passing, even this last bond would instantly crumble.

Sebastian entered quietly and sat in a corner.

Unnoticed, or perhaps inconsequential even when noticed.

Only one man sitting above, appearing somewhat timid, nodded kindly at him.

Sebastian returned the gesture.

This man was Alexander Richardson, the Vanderbilt family's son-in-law. Despite his timid appearance, he held the position of deputy chief at the New York Western District Prosecutors' Office.

Sitting beside him, a woman with a more harsh countenance, was the Vanderbilt family's youngest daughter and Sebastian's aunt, Eleanor Vanderbilt. She held Oceanic Technology, which didn't seem valuable now, but Sebastian knew it was one of the future's pillar industries.

As for the second uncle who had yet to arrive, Edward Vanderbilt controlled another lifeline of the family, Oceanic Securities.

And the youngest son, Sebastian's father, George Vanderbilt, controlled nothing, symbolically holding only one percent of the Oceanic Group's shares.

Of course, it was precisely because of this that their family's situation was a bit better.

After all, no one would release hostility without reason.

Sebastian sat there, his thoughts churning.

Soon, the second uncle, Edward, arrived, a man with glasses and a scholarly air, taking his place opposite Edward.

Faced with the eldest brother's undisguised hostility, he merely smiled in response, instead engaging in a cheerful conversation with Richardson.

A while later, Vanderbilt George arrived, his eyes revealing a hint of surprise upon seeing Sebastian there.

Due to the tense atmosphere in the banquet hall, it was uncomfortable for the younger members to stay, so they would usually find excuses to arrive late, or simply enter with the patriarch, Vanderbilt Nicholas.

The young Sebastian Vanderbilt was particularly adept at this, often returning in the middle of meals.

It was rare, as now, for him to wait so properly and early in the banquet hall.

"Father!"

Sebastian's eyes moved slightly, and he rose to bow deeply.

The young Sebastian once naively thought, like others, that his father was a wastrel.

With top ten academic achievement in New York's cultural courses, he chose to study painting...

A complete deviation from the right path.

However, as he grew older, Vanderbilt Sebastian came to a realization: everything his father did was to protect his family.

The tallest tree catches the most wind!

The Vanderbilt family had too many competitors.

Even if George Vanderbilt was a young lion, amidst a pack of wolves, any sign of growth would be torn to shreds.

Instead, it was better to be content as a mascot.

Regardless of which brother eventually won out, they would need him, the harmless mascot, to stabilize people's hearts, without any danger.

The fool who hides his wisdom!

Respect filled Sebastian's eyes.

He had once thought.

If it wasn't for studying abroad when his mother suddenly became pregnant, with his father's exceptional intelligence, he surely could have claimed a share of the wealth.

The more he understood about his father, the more respect he had.

Vanderbilt George's gaze, however, was somewhat odd.

The look in the young man's eyes today was off, lacking the usual disdain, replaced with respect, and it made his spine tingle.

"Could it be that a confession was rejected again, and now you've thought of asking your father, who won over a goddess, for advice?" George sat down, a slight smile playing on his lips after reaching this conclusion.

Indeed.

Sebastian's mother was once considered one of the top three campus beauties across all universities in the uptown, yet she was won over by him.

This was something George could be proud of for a lifetime.

"It seems the trip to the state wasn't very smooth?"

Sebastian looked up in surprise to see his father's face brighten with a kind smile, "Son, you're still too green when it comes to courting girls. Let me tell you about women..."

But before he could finish, he was interrupted.

"Dad, how did you know I took a trip to the state?" Sebastian asked seriously.

He was sure he had made the trip on his own.

George's smile froze on his face. Could he say he had secretly followed his beloved son in his car?

Of course not!

Although it was indeed a chance encounter on the way to a comic exhibition...

If he spoke out, where would his dignity be?

Where would his face be?

This matter, no matter how you looked at it, seemed somewhat sordid!

"The art teacher at Boston Art High is my old classmate," George Vanderbilt said earnestly. "He mentioned that you visited their school today."

"Is that so?"

Sebastian nodded and added, "Well, it wasn't really about chasing a girl. It was just that I had promised to support her and was fulfilling that promise."

"Alright, then be careful in the future. If you need money, tell your father, and don't foolishly run around on the streets..."

George was speaking when he suddenly stopped mid-sentence and straightened up, adopting an 'I haven't said anything' demeanor.

Beside him, Sebastian was somewhat helpless.

His father's few words were... full of loopholes.

Does the teacher at Boston Art High know what I look like?

Or...

Was it also the teacher from Boston Art High who told you I ran all the way there?

Could this be any more fake...

Soon, a group of women entered the banquet hall, and Sebastian's mother arrived, elegant and dignified. Time had left no mark on her face, instead, she had gained a sense of mature charm. Upon arrival, she took her place next to George, politely greeting everyone.

"How is it, son? Did you succeed?"

"???" Sebastian looked over in bewilderment.

"Weren't you chasing a girl in the state?" Caroline Vanderbilt blinked and asked with a smile.

"..." Sebastian's mouth twitched slightly as he turned to look at his father, feeling as if a stampede was raging in his heart.

Turns out, this childhood secret of his, which he foolishly thought was a secret, was known by the whole family, wasn't it?

"Cough cough cough..." George Vanderbilt quickly set down his teacup and pulled his wife close for a whispered conversation.

Sebastian's mouth twitched uncontrollably.

The two of them discussed his little secret right in front of him...

Indescribably... speechless.

Especially his mother's occasional glance at him, those strange, pity eyes mixed with a hint of sympathy...

Suddenly, Sebastian had a startling thought.

In his previous life, after being a loyal follower for so many years, couldn't it be...

Definitely not!

This was just a coincidence, absolutely a coincidence!!!

Even if they knew, it was too late.

After all, he had been reborn, who would know?

But even so, Sebastian still felt his cheeks burning... with shame!

Indeed, no more romance.

One more strange incident added to the list.

Of course, these were just side stories.

Before long, the younger generation returned.

Charles Jr. Vanderbilt from the eldest uncle's family.

Raymond Vanderbilt and Theodore Vanderbilt from the second uncle's family.

John Nelson Vanderbilt from the third uncle's family.

Abigail Vanderbilt, the cousin from the youngest aunt's family.

Indeed.

This was the only person present younger than Sebastian, by just about two months.

The two attended the same school, Chester High, and were in the same grade.

Thinking of it, and seeing his cousin sitting quietly in her pink princess dress and crystal hairpin, Sebastian couldn't help but chuckle.

If those at school who trembled at the mention of the little tyrant saw this obedient appearance, it would shatter their worldviews...

Should he sneak a photo?

A mischievous thought crossed his mind.

But Abigail Vanderbilt, seeing the nefarious smile on Sebastian's face, secretly clenched her little fist in a threatening manner, yet when her parents turned back, she quickly forced a ladylike smile.

As for this.

Sebastian didn't care.

The two had a gap in their school grades.

Although Abigail's grades weren't too bad, ranking in the middle, compared to Vanderbilt Sebastian, who was consistently in the top three of his class, there was a significant difference.

The most terrifying childhood shadow is the child of another family.

Even more terrifying when that child is a relative.

Thus, Abigail had always been somewhat resistant to him.

Sebastian was used to it.

Finally...

The family patriarch, Nicholas Vanderbilt, entered.

His face was aged, but his eyes shone with vitality and sharpness.

The wife who accompanied him had been a business elite in her youth, but time had left her with only kindness.

As they took their seats, the old man's birthday celebration officially began.

Monotonous, dull, and... formal!

Although everyone had smiles on their faces and spoke blessings, to Sebastian's eyes, it all seemed void of emotion and soul.

Especially the old man sitting at the top, despite it being his birthday, he remained expressionless throughout, only showing a reaction when his granddaughter offered sincere blessings.

Soon, the brief harmony dissipated.

The old man, eating quietly, seemingly nonchalantly asked, "Charles, has Oceanic Heavy Industries' business been too easy lately?"

"Why would you suddenly bring this up, father?" Charles looked over.

"Oceanic Construction is too small. How about I hand over Oceanic Bio, Technology, and Securities to you as well?" The old man wiped his mouth with a napkin, chuckling lightly, "Oh, and the Caboat family. Give me a few years, and I'll get the Caboat family's business for you, too. How does that sound?"

The old man was smiling, but his smile was oppressive.

Charles's eyes trembled slightly, not daring to look directly into the old man's eyes, bowing slightly.

He knew his father was displeased with his interference in Oceanic Construction.

Bang! The table was struck, sending a shock through everyone, the atmosphere suddenly freezing to an icy point.

"I'm not dead yet, and you're already eager to fight amongst yourselves?"

The old man barked, "What skill is there in biting at each other at home? If you're capable, bite off a piece of the Caboat family's flesh and bring it to me. I'll hand over Oceanic Group to you on a silver platter. But are you up to it?"

"Are you capable?"

"Waste!"

"A bunch of wastes!"

"Father, please calm down. Big brother and I were just messing around..." William Vanderbilt awkwardly tried to explain, knowing that if he didn't, the next wave of anger would be directed at him.

But even standing up to speak, the old man remained angry.

"You think I'm speaking up for you?"