Life boy

There are no heroes...in life, the monsters win.

-George R. R. Martin

/////

Y/N leaned against his locker, listening intently as Ethan recounted the latest episode in his ongoing saga of admirers. Ethan, with his trademark sass and an ever-present chill vibe, couldn't help but weave the tale with his usual flair.

"So, there's this guy, right? And he's been flirting with me non-stop for the past week," Ethan began, his voice laced with amusement and a hint of incredulity. "He's cute, not gonna lie. But I'm just not into him like that, you know?"

Y/N cracked a smile, fully aware of Ethan's charm and how it seemed to draw people in without even trying. "Sounds like you've got a fan club," Y/N teased, nudging Ethan with his shoulder. "But seriously, how are you going to let him down easy?"

Ethan shrugged, a mischievous grin playing on his lips. "I'll think of something. Maybe I'll introduce him to someone at prom who's actually interested. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy. Just, I can never get serious with a man who wears makeup and does ballet."

Y/N laughed.

As they navigated the crowded hallways, Y/N turned the conversation to another topic that had been on his mind. "Hey, do you know if Spencer is planning another D&D session soon?" Y/N asked, curiosity piqued by the thought of their next adventure in the game.

Ethan's eyes lit up at the mention of Dungeons & Dragons, a shared passion among their group of friends. "Oh, yeah, he mentioned something about setting up a game this weekend," Ethan replied, his enthusiasm evident. "Said he's cooking up something epic. Knowing Spencer, it's going to be a wild ride."

Y/N's face broke into a grin at the prospect. Their Dungeons & Dragons sessions were legendary, with Spencer's knack for storytelling and creating immersive worlds making each game an unforgettable experience. "That sounds awesome. I can't wait to see what he's got planned for our characters," Y/N said, already imagining the possibilities.

Ethan nodded in agreement as they reached their classroom. "Same here. Better brush up on your spellcasting, though. Spencer hinted at some pretty tough encounters ahead," he said.

As Y/N and Ethan rounded the corner, they stumbled upon a heated argument unfolding between Y/N's girlfriend, Peri, and another student. Peri's fiery personality was on full display as she fiercely defended her favorite Canadian soap opera, her pride evident in every word she spoke.

"I'm telling you, 'Northern Nights' is far superior to any other soap opera out there!" Peri exclaimed, her voice laced with passion and conviction. "The characters are complex, the plot twists are mind-blowing, and don't even get me started on the cinematography!"

The other student, a fellow soap opera aficionado, shook their head in disbelief. "Are you serious? 'Northern Nights' is nothing but melodramatic nonsense!" they retorted, their tone equally adamant. "If you want a real soap opera, you should be watching 'Crimson Cove.' Now that's quality television."

Peri's eyes narrowed, her pride wounded by the challenge to her beloved show. "How dare you insult 'Northern Nights' like that!" she shot back, her voice rising in indignation. "You obviously have no taste if you can't appreciate the genius of Canadian television!"

Ethan watched the exchange with a bemused expression, unable to understand why Y/N was dating someone as juvenile and argumentative as Peri.

"Welp. There's your girl. I ain't getting involved. Ethan out!" Ethan said walking away.

Y/N approached Peri, gently interrupting the spirited debate about soap operas. "Hey, Peri, what's going on?" he asked, trying to defuse the tension that crackled in the air.