Biting Gargoyles

Song:
Welcome to the Jungle ~ Guns N' Roses

***************************************

Quietly boarding the boat, I still had absolutely no clue what was about to happen. If I did, I would have awaited our destination eagerly. Too eagerly.

For the last half an hour, Xavier has been very quiet unless I give him 'permission to speak'. He doesn't say much more than that, however. An occasional nod, or the shake of his head. He sneaks an occasional glance in my direction but doesn't speak unless I ask him something directly.

For the first time since being here, as I stare at the glistening waves, I feel a lump of hath guilt form in my throat. I may be putting on a cool facade for everyone else, but deep down all I want to do is cry and scream and throw things. The waves, while deadly and gorgeous, are what caused the downfall to my death. My death was no accident. And my murderer had gotten away.

I scowl at the waters.

Poseidon is going to hate me.

When we almost reach our destination, I gasp slightly as I take in the beauty of it all...

I can see a Palace far in the distance. It's daunting. It's towers are nearly as tall as the heavens (well, Olympus). It's guarded in the front by two stone gargoyles and fenced in with a tall gate that creaked when it opened. The doors were massive, and nearly every window reminded me of the stained glass in Churches.

Before the Palace, however, was a mountain. The mountain was very narrow and steep, and Xavier explained that it would take a few more hours to get to there.

I heard collective breaths and whispers. I heard whispers of rumors pass through the other six girls. Our servants were silent and smiled as they saw their faraway home come closer into view.

On our way up the slim mountain, Golden gates have been dug carefully into the dirt weathered ground. As I approach the bars, my breath leaves me and I smile at what awaits me.

"It's so beautiful."

The only other girl who says it has her face practically against smushed the bars. Her blonde hair bobs around her back, and her outfit is ripped, scorched and hanging off her body. "Is that Hercules?" She gaped. "It smells like barbecue."

And it did smell like barbecue. It made my mouth water. Who knew death could make you hungry? My stomach growled in protest. What was the food like here?

The underworld version of 'heaven' was beautiful. While rough dessert ground caked our feet with dust and mud, inside of Elysium was a vast green field and a blue sky with clouds rolling by. I could see a beach farther off in the distance; glittering blue waves and tents set up with hammocks stapled into the ground. I could see mountains farther into the distance; and the laughter of children is floating past us.

"You can see inside this place?" A third girl asks. She presses her hands against the bars. Not quite as excited as either of us. She's got a Russian accent; and her hair is dark brown and covered with small twigs. Her eyes are deep brown, and her clothes are covered in dark red blood. I can't see what the Judges branded her with.

I smile a little. My cheeks are getting hot as I realize that she and I are the only ones that can see inside of it, and they're all staring at us. Including the servants. "It's beautiful." I wanted to say. But instead, I backed away and kept my mouth shut. "I can't see anything."

Xavier rose an eyebrow, and looked at me strangely. "No, neither can I." And I wondered then if he were telling the truth, either. It was the first time Xavier spoke without asking permission, and the other servants cast nervous glances his way.