Chapter 8

Nalgib: so...how does this powder mix works?

Bolat: when ignited, the mixture burns immediately due to the flammable ingredients, producing a great number of hot gases and smoke, if you put it in a close space as this metal pipe, the repaid expansion of the gases and the explosion generate pressure, which propels this small pellet out of the pipe. The speed and the burning time depends of the ingredients and quantity used.

Bolat carefully loads the experimental weapon, meticulously measuring out a small quantity of black powder and placing it into the barrel. With precision, he inserts a small piece of paper followed by a pellet, using a stick known as a ramrod to firmly press the components down. Securing the barrel to the table, Bolat then carefully adds a small amount of black powder to a pan positioned beside the barrel.With steady hands, Bolat brings a small ember close to the pan, igniting the powder and triggering the mechanism. In an instant, the barrel unleashes its explosive force, propelling the projectile forward with remarkable speed and accuracy. The projectile effortlessly surpasses the hanged piece of meat, hitting its mark with pinpoint precision.As the smoke clears and the echoes of the shot fade away, Nalgib stands in awe of the weapon's performance as Bolat's ingenuity and skill have produced a truly remarkable firearm, one that promises to revolutionize warfare with its unparalleled precision and power.

As more testing lies ahead, Nalgib contemplates the potential impact of the newly developed powder and considers ways to enhance its effectiveness. He ponders the idea of shaping the weapon body to resemble a crossbow, providing a more ergonomic and comfortable shooting position. Bolat reveals that this was indeed his intention, proposing the creation of a wooden body and trigger mechanism.Nalgib eagerly offers to assist Bolat in refining the weapon, on the condition that he be the first to test any improvements. Bolat agrees, stipulating that Nalgib must keep their collaboration confidential until he decides otherwise.

As the days pass and the snow melts away in the mountains, the forest springs to life with fresh water from the rejuvenated creeks. In a serene moment by a small creek in the hidden forest, Bolat, Nalgib, and Elliot gather to test the new firearm. Elliot loads the barrel while Nalgib takes aim at an edrak peacefully grazing nearby. Bolat observes and takes notes as Nalgib steadies his breath and pulls the trigger, striking the edrak in the chest.As they track the wounded creature, Bolat remains by the creek, reflecting on the precision of the shot. While accurate, the projectile's trajectory was slightly affected by the wind, causing it to miss the edrak's heart directly. Bolat notes this as an area for improvement to prevent wastage of the precious black powder.

Back in Gallo, Bolat eagerly awaits Nalgib's arrival in his office, where he peruses a military codex from the shelf. As he flips through the pages, he notices something peculiar â€" the equipment used in the continent of Praeraeva differs significantly from that of Arin and Zagroth. While initially attributing this to cultural distinctions, Bolat senses there's more to it.Reflecting on Earth's late Middle Ages, where metal played a prominent role in various civilizations' military and daily lives, Bolat realizes that despite trading relations between continents, the world he's in remains remarkably isolated. Many nations, particularly in North Praeraeva, rely minimally on metals, with limited advancements in architecture, culture, and the arts. The prohibition of magic in several regions exacerbates this divide, heightening Bolat's awareness of the potential impact of introducing something as potent as black powder.Examining the codex further, Bolat observes that while military forces in Arin and Zagroth utilize metal armor akin to plate armor on Earth, those in North and South Praeraeva employ minimal metal, with some still using bronze or distinguishing themselves from civilians solely with sleeve adornments. Helmets stand as a notable exception.Contemplating how he might introduce Earth's military technology to this world, Bolat considers it a potential avenue for fostering peace and stability across the lands.